Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel 1140e IP phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbad1

Technical User
Apr 14, 2020
US
I have several of these deployed for my office. All of a sudden last week one of them starts shutting down and restarting every hour on the hour, any idea why this is happening. It's causing dropped calls.

What exact steps have you taken so far to try and fix the issue?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I've seen the 11xxe spontaneously crap out. But try another POE port 1st or if using an injector replace it.

Marv ccna

We tried different ports and cables but didn't fix, it restarts at :58 past the hour every hour, weird. I am having the user take the phone to another location to see if it happens there. Any other ideas?

We tried different ports and cables "
Ok thanks.

-When you say another location do you mean offsite/different network?
-Did you try another Switch at site?
-Is the phone set to DHCP or does it have a Static IP address?

If Static I wonder if there is a Leased Time issue (programmed on the switch) with that IP address
-Try changing the IP address

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I know this issue, the internal Power supply starts failing. If you can open a good set and get the power supply from the set that powers off , ypu will see that the set will stop powering off. Check this and let us know.

regards

Nikos

Koulioumbis maybe means Power Board? there is only external power supplies/PoE for the sets.
The power boards have resistors that can fail much like the old BFT's.

But do you guys really think anything power related will make a set reboot exactly one hour to the "T" every time?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I added one more:

-When you say another location do you mean offsite/different network?
-Did you try another Switch at site?
-Which power supply are you using? Adapter or PoE?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

We tried the phone last night at a different site with same result, the unit is powered with a regular power supply that plugs into the wall that came with the unit. We bought 15 of these that were reconditioned and all came with new power supplies, this is the only one with this issue.

Well, we got the place we bought it from to send another phone with a new power source however, the same issue is still occurring, it resets itself at :58 past the hour and now we have another user at a different location and hers is resetting at :01 past the hour, any other ideas?

Have you got another Nortel product that you can try it on?. It might not be the phone that is the problem. I have a test BCM that you could try to register it against. This would confirm if the issue is phone related, but it would be better to do this on a different network in case that is the problem?.

What BCM version is it connected against?. Look in the BCM Monitor to find the firmware version.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Still unanswered:

New question:
-Is the BCM's DHCP server enabled or are you using the networks DHCP server?

Per above: I wonder if there is a Leased Time issue mistakenly programmed for 60 minutes on some ports.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

My wild guess - the phones are set to use DHCP with 1 hour lease expiry. When the lease for a phone is about to expire, the phone attempts to renew but fails (for some reason). Without an IP address, the phone goes through a reboot. After the reboot, it gets an IP address from the DHCP server again and works for almost an hour....

Anyway, it might help to look at the DHCP communication on the network.

You could change one of the two phones to use a static IP address (as suggested by curlycord above) - if the problem "magically" goes away, you can be almost certain that this is a DHCP issue. Just make sure that the static IP address is not in the DHCP range to avoid an IP address conflict with another device.

Update as I troubleshot this one.

There was WAN Attacks on the Modem/Router

Out of about 15 sets 4 of them would reboot every singe hour and on the hour XX:58
3 X 1140e
1 X 2004_ps
I updated sets firmware and patches on the bcm450 R6

I found the Firmware Log on the Modem/Router

FW.IPv6 FORWARD drop
, 1375
Attempts, 2020/5/18 10:58:02 Firewall Blocked

FW.WANATTACK DROP
, 13
Attempts, 2020/5/18 10:58:02 Firewall Blocked

FW.IPv6 FORWARD drop
, 1832
Attempts, 2020/5/17 18:58:02 Firewall Blocked

FW.IPv6 INPUT drop
, 16
Attempts, 2020/5/17 03:58:02 Firewall Blocked

FW.IPv6 FORWARD drop
, 1137
Attempts, 2020/5/16 18:58:02 Firewall Blocked

The only fixes seem to be Cisco 30XX modems on Comcast need replacing or putting those Cisco DPC-39XX into Bridge mode and use another a router.

Case closed.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back