Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel 1110 phone keeps forgetting S1/S2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyRothgen

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2015
GB
I've got a bit of a strange one here, it's happened on a few sets now and I'm not aware of any changes made that might relate to this.

The phones stop working and come up with InvalidTN. When I dig into it the S1 & S2 keeps resetting to our other phone system's server, I reset this correctly but the phone doesn't seem remember it properly. Due to the differences in the two systems this also means a firmware upgrade every time it swaps between systems.

I've done a factory reset using the '# up down up down up # 9 Hangup' from here This hasn't helped.

I believe the sequence the phone is following is as follows -

Set to correct S1/S2
Boots
Picks up firmware upgrade to 'nortel' this is correct for all phones on that system
Reboots on new firmware
Forgets S1/S2 and picks up firmware upgrade to 'avaya' for our other system
Reboots & comes up invalid TN as it's looking at the wrong server

The reason we've got two systems is we were historically two organisations who've merged and bought their own systems with them. However it's all functioned fine like this for around 10 years, this is a new issue.

What do you have programmed in the phone for S1 and S2? Which system do they point to?

Upload the same firmware to the both (S1/S2) servers.

tbonz25,

I set S1/S2 to 192.168.217.2 and 192.168.52.2 which are the primary & secondary on the system I want to connect the phone too. It however keeps defaulting to a S1 of 192.168.130.33 which is the other system.

Gluker,

I don't have control of the other system and this has always worked before.

Is anything being pushed from DHCP options that is setting the S1 S2 addresses as typically the phone should not pick up another address. I would check DHCP and make sure that is not the case.

Just to add in another question?. Are you using SRG for these phones as they often cause problems if the firmware is different. It might be a little easier if you were able to have both Sig Servers loaded with the latest firmware.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

tbonz25,

I was looking at that myself, having not checked back here for a few days. We do have DHCP option 128 pushing the sig servers for the other system, but I'm assured that's always been in place so I can't see why it's causing an issue now.

As a test I removed it from my local switch & the phone works. Is there a way to prevent the phone picking that up? or will I need to work with the guy managing the other phone system to remove it from DHCP?

Well it depends on your configuration. Which system is your S1 and is your system using an NRS as a redirect server? The easiest way is to just have it push option 128 with the S1 and no S2 if you do not need that for redundancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back