Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar system "in maintenance" after porting phones over to fibre company

Status
Not open for further replies.

techguyconsulting

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2015
US
Today we ported our phones (previously Frontier) over to a fiber company. They have an adtran in place that outputs our 7 lines to a punch block...which we patched over to the punch block at our Nortel system (where the frontier incoming lines previously resided). 3 of our lines are outside of the nortel system (2 faxes and an aux building) and are working just fine. However the Norstel system will not come up. The phone reads "in maintenance." We haven't changed anything in the hardware. The only other issue we know of is tthe fact that our Call Pilot died a month ago and has not been replaced yet.

Any way I can get this system booting without reprogramming it? We DID have it powered down for a few hours today...

Why was it powered down?
What changed as far as lines? did you go from POTs lines to POTs lines?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

What I mean is this new carrier is converting fiber to analog so there is no change?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Yes the new carrier is converting fiber to analog. So when we plug in we get a regular dial tone just like the old Frontier lines. It was powered down so just for safety...I did not realize powering it down would be an issue :(

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

I'm here onsite working late...trying to get it figured out so that we have a working phone number. My company provides IT support...we don't typically manage phone systems, however the school needed this port complete and did not have a phone vendor available.

So here's something magical...

I power cycled the unit one more time and this time everything just CAME BACK ONLINE on it's own. I noticed we must have one of the numbers backwards in the punch (when picking up a phone it now defaults to a rollover line instead of the main phone line) ...some I'm just going to swap those two around and that should do it! Thanks again for your help. I wish I knew what caused this but am happy to have it ON and working for now!

Lines should roll from top to bottom on inbound where outbound you grab lines from bottom up so it was correct.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Was out of town for the weekend. Just wanted to thank you (curlycord) for your replies. Thank you for confirming it should roll bottom to top on outgoing...I had no idea! I still wish I knew what caused it but for now ignorance is bliss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back