Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar system / programming inventory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrtigo1

MIS
Jan 7, 2009
US
We have a nortel phone system that was installed about 13 years ago. Nobody here knows exactly how everything works....as far as what type and how many trunks we have, how our calls are routed, etc.

For example, I know we have several analog lines and a T1, but don't know what each of those does. We have a block of DID #s that correspond to our extensions and a few toll free numbers. when someone dials one of our DID or toll-free numbers, how can I find out if that is coming in to our system via analog or over the T1...same with outbound calls, local and LD, how are they being connected out to the pstn?

We've recently had separate issues with certain services (toll-free, local calls) not working, and since the analog and T1 lines are coming from different providers, I've had a lot of trouble tracking down the correct company to call when we have these sort of problems.

Ideally, I'd like to move all of our services to a single provider and consolidate everything on one or two PRIs. How would I find out if our T1 card can accomodate a PRI, and is there some way I can monitor the usage of the lines so I can get a better idea as to how many lines we need to support concurrently?

Sorry for so many questions, but I don't have much experience with Nortel systems.

If you look at your system, and don't see any cards in the cabinets that say "DID", then you are using a PRI, not a T1.

As to who's providing what, you can usually request a call analysis of your service from the sales staff of the provider you're thinking of switching to. They'll bend over backwards to get your business, and can make pretty good sense of your phone bills.

To determine your configuration on site, a technician would need an hour or two. To do it remotely might well be impossible.

I'll take a look at it, but I recall various people have told us we can't get caller ID because T1 doesn't support it and that PRI would.

I'm in the process of getting the company I want to move our services to go through our bill, so I'll ask them if they can give us a call analysis too.

What's the best way to find a qualified technician to do the inventory, and what might I expect to pay? Our system is end of life'd by Sprint/Embarq (they sold it to us and maintained it until last year), so I'm wary of letting Joe Technician from the yellow pages come in and start tinkering with it.

Joe blow can sometimes be your best guy but may not have nortel access or be authorized should they need high support.
Joe blow could also be an under experinced tech who does not know enough but think he or she does.

Ask questions like do you know PRI, CCR tree, ACD, BCM, and IP set programming......this will give you a general idea how much they know. They only need to know PRI and CCR out those items for the job.

Seach the Nortel site for partners or google your city and norstar together.

Best to pay for the first site visit for inventory and whats what.
1-2 hrs probably if they have to identify numbers and DID's.

So far sounds like you need to upgrade software, get a DTI card, Service or Combo card and a PRI enabler key code.

Gather a list of all DID's, 800's and any analog numbers for the tech....you need to tell them what you have and they will do their bet to tell you where they go.

3rd party software required to monitor lines but you can also ask Sprint for a an Euipment Record of lines and also a monitor/usage report.

Google MICS 4.0 System Coordinator Guide, I suspect that might be the closet to your software. Get to know it and navigation of programming.

=--(((((((((()--=
curlycord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back