Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar MICS PRI question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountain52

Technical User
Jul 28, 2005
US
Posted: Jul 28, 2005 - 12:41 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I work on central offices (specifically DMS central offices) and we are interfacing with a Norstar MICS with 6.0 software using a PRI.

We are having strange problems with the status of B-channels using NI-2 protocol. If the central office busies a B-channel both ends see the B-channel as out of service (OK so far). If the central office enables the B-channel, the B-channel is up in the central office, but the Norstar shows it as "Far End Busy". The central office sent the service/maintenance message and the Norstar equipment acknowledged, but failed to place the B-channel in-service. Any ideas, why? The DMS100 central office uses a different value in the protocol discriminator field for maintenance messages and while the Norstar equipment responds properly, it does not seem to take action on the message.

If the protocol is set to DMS100, the B-channel behaves properly when the central office disables/returns the B-channel. However. with either DMS100 or NI-2 protocol if the Norstar end busies or restores the B-channel, the central office does not receive a service/maintenance message showing a change in the B-channel state from the Norstar equipment.

Since I am not able to get to Norstar documentation to help the vendor (I'm not a "channel partner"), I need to ask some questions:

1. Is there some method the vendor can use to monitor the messages on the D-channel at the Norstar end?

2. Is there some setting in the Norstar which disables B-channel service messages? Is it different for DMS100 or NI-2 protocol?

3. Any other thoughts.........

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back