Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar MICS Extension Call Forward External 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael OConnor

Programmer
Sep 26, 2017
US
Greetings!

Norstar MICS 7.1. Client would like to call forward her extension (not line) to her cell.

Familiar with F4 and F84, but neither works.

Need a bump.

Thanks!

Mike

You need to build a Route and Dest code (installers guide for info) then F4 it to the dest code plus the mobile #.
The set needs to have Allow Redirect on.
Maybe there is something in the FAQ's tab up top but there is plenty of posts on this so use the search box too.

Note that this will take up 2 lines for the duration of the call therefore only somebody special should have the capability.

F84 is Line Redirect, redirects one line to another....not what you want.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Note that this will take up 2 lines for the duration of the call therefore only somebody special should have the capability.

That's just the point...

I was hoping to use Dial Out: F71, but it will only accept F7 and no more digits can be added.

Why couldn't Norstar make this easy like the Option Switches... CLS: CFXA.

In the 38 years I've been doing this, I have used "Redirect" many times, but I have never had to build a Route or a Destination Code to make an extension call forward to a cell.

I got it to work with a Destination Code of 300 and it works using a line in and a line out. Anyone know how to get "Dial Out:" F71 to work?

MICS XC 7.1 Installer guide says yes on page 392/Services. F71, F78, F*89, F*9, F804.

Thanks!

I know it's not the point, that is why I said "not what you want"

"I have used "Redirect" many times, but I have never had to build a Route or a Destination Code to make an extension call forward to a cell"
Line Redirect and Call Forward on NOT related, forget about mentions of "Line Redirect".

I myself have never done it not using a dest code for "Call Forward External", I am certain it is common knowledge amongst techs and site admins of the past as we have certainly gone down this road of frustration.

See/Search the "Norstar Modular and Compact MICS 4.1 Installer Guide Addendum" (or CICS) I do not think they ever made a full 4.1 guide.

"MICS XC 7.1 Installer guide says yes on page 392/Services. F71, F78, F*89, F*9, F804"

Page 392:
Feature 71 - Link – if your Norstar system is connected to a [highlight #FCE94F]private[/highlight] branch exchange (PBX), you can use a Link signal to access special features.

I am guessing your connecting to "Public" and not Private.
Maybe Centrex software has that feature as the software was made for Centrex lines.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Yes, but the MICS would not know the difference between a Centrex Trunk or a Loop Start Trunk.

Centrex doesn't even show up in the XC 71. Software; is that the key/secret?

So still the question persists... Why won't the Link (F71) command work on the MICS; it works on the phones to transfer a call to a cell number.

"MICS XC 7.1 Installer guide says yes on page 392/Services. F71, F78, F*89, F*9, F804", but F71 dun't work.

Thanks!

Best,
Mike

Why"
I think it's because I'm not sure.

You mean why wont it work with "Routing", because it is not programmed to work as specified in the guide, only with a Private Network as pointed out.

"Centrex doesn't even show up in the XC 71. Software; is that the key/secret?"
I do not understand the question.
As I mentioned above:
Maybe Centrex software has that feature as the software was made for Centrex lines.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I'm going to try MICS Centrex Software and see if i can get it to work. I really want to use the link feature instead of a line in and another line out... the Church only has 3 lines.

Thanks all for your input!!!

@michael OConnor - don't argue with @curlycord, he's one of the most knowledgeable Norstar/BCM guys in the North America. You asked for help, he gave it in spades...

I wasn't arguing with anybody; in fact I was agreeing with @curlycord. Don't know why your panties are in a bunch... please explain.

Nortel4Ever, thanks for the comment...I will explain for you.

Michael, in my opinion, but you are coming across as being somewhat argumentative, to the point I waited just over a week to reply.

"Why couldn't Norstar make this easy like the Option Switches... CLS: CFXA."
You could say that for many things, it's a different beast, and shouldn't be compared...or argued with, lol.

"but I have never had to build a Route or a Destination Code to make an extension call forward to a cell"
Argument!

In your second post:
"MICS XC 7.1 Installer guide says yes on page 392/Services. F71, F78, F*89, F*9, F804."

In my response:
"Page 392:
Feature 71 - Link – if your Norstar system is connected to a [highlight #FCE94F]private[/highlight] branch exchange (PBX), you can use a Link signal to access special features.
I am guessing your connecting to "Public" and not Private."

Then your next response is somewhat the same
"So still the question persists... Why won't the Link (F71) command work on the MICS; it works on the phones to transfer a call to a cell number.
"MICS XC 7.1 Installer guide says yes on page 392/Services. F71, F78, F*89, F*9, F804", but F71 dun't work.

Repetitive as if you did not even read my response.
It appears to me if I said "it wont work" you still want to know "why"....which can appear argumentative.
We are not programmers, we are techs or site admins...we don't know "why" programmers did what they did.

Nortel4Ever is not being disrespectful in anyway but rather observative and I am guessing trying to move this along, perhaps a little frustrated like me, and wishes this thread/subject will end as this topic has come up time and time again over the last many years.

Kudos to the programmers for doing what they did long ago....nobody will ever beat the market share they had, and still do in parts.

Lets call this unintentional and move along...

I don't not think downgrading to Centrex software is going to help, you will surely lose other features and it not guaranteed.
I cannot find which KSU it was for, 8X24 or MICS but suspect 8X24....no "Centrex" guide to be found in my inventory but everything was paper then.

If it's a Callpilot voicemail then consider trying to use the mailbox to do the transfer.
This must me allowed in Class Of Service (External Transfer).
Users greeting: sorry not here, leave msg or if urgent press 7 to reach me on mobile
Dial string #PXXXXXXXXXX
# is the Link, P is the pause...but entering them is tricky, use the guide, something like *5 to enter special characters, 2 to go back to entering digits.
Sub option:
If the user does not whish to have messages left then use the ALT greeting and turn off "Leave messages"
Greeting: "Please press 7 to reach me"

or use the Off Prem Notify for when messages are left
or ask people to email
or leave the cell #

Otherwise a new system.

Outta Ammo!

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Nortel4Ever wasn't even part of the thread, but yet he came across as an extremely sensitive authoritarian eager to mix it up and admonish people he doesn't even know. I'm a naturally curious person and I always want to know why. I'm sorry if that offends you

I've been a Nortel tech since the early 80's working on Norstar's, ST's, Option 11's, Option 61's and Option 81's; I even own an Option 81, it's sitting in storage. When I worked at Insight, I was received an award for decreasing agent downtime by 90% for MAC's. Originally they would move agents by moving the cross-connect; and this would take days, especially when the agent count was large. A bundle of 3500 cross-connects is about 6 or 7 inches in diameter.

At one of the meetings, I explained that the 66 blocks were not meant to handle that amount of traffic and further to replace the 66 blocks and all of the PE cables would take over a week and the switch would be down for that length of time, so I started doing all the moves in software and it worked out very well.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a know it all, but I'm happy to say I am not sensitive at all. I'm a retired Chicago Police Officer and during my academy days, I, and my fellow classmates, were subjected to inflammatory, provocative and degrading harassment (literally nose to nose) by our home room instructor every morning. That was some of the greatest training I ever had. I wish everyone could go through that.

I'm also happy to say that this will probably be my last visit to Tek-Tips. This post has put a really bad taste in my mouth; so to speak. I'm 73 years old and I only have but a few customers left. If I run into future problems, I'll just contact the secondary market vendors. They usually have a not so sensitive Pro on-site that can help.

Adios muchachos!

Well so much for me trying to keep the peace, being nice....and still trying to help you!

"extremely sensitive authoritarian eager to mix it up"

AND YOU TALK ABOUT SENSATIVITY?
Good grief.

Nobody even bad mouthed you, I certainty was not "offended"

AND YOU TALK ABOUT SENSATIVITY?
Good grief.

"No vuelvas, Pompous ass!"

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status