Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar Launch - Northern Telecom - 1988 Memo 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvayaRed

Programmer
May 18, 2021
US
So this was a interesting thing I found online and thought I would share with everyone. Here is a memo from Northern Telecom dating back to 1988 when they launched the Norstar. Started development in 1984 and costing more than $40 Million, this memo talks about Nortel's newest phone system and how they predicted how well it would perform.

Boy were they right on the money with this statement right here: "Norstar is simply the simplest and most powerful key system the market will see until well into the 1990s."

It is a shame they ended how they did and was not able to make the next great solution. Below is the link and hope you all find it as interesting as I did.

Good find!

They ended with a BCM, (R6 release being the most stable) being a hybrid of digital and IP sets, IP Gateway/SIP Trunks and in the backend not released/finished yet was SIP sets for Nortel IP sets & 3rd party sets.
Most clients did not even know their BCM's did SIP and IP sets, some peoples vendors.

Yeah, the execs ruined it all.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

BCM is good for sure but imagine what their 2022 on prem solution and cloud solution would have looked like. I assume they would have made both to do right for all customers needs.

It is unfortunate that Nortel and Avaya have had such awful luck with their executives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back