Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar I.420 with NTBB30AF-93

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOpalinski

Technical User
Mar 2, 2024
GB
Hi everyone,

I recently got a second hand BT Meridian branded Norstar (I think a MICS) with the UK I.420 software, and a pair of NTBB30AF-93 Trunk modules, and I've been pulling my hair out trying to get all the trunks to work. The best I can get is that Line 002 and 032 work with either module in either slot, and both at the same time. With the other lines I can hear it siezing but no dial tone, or any noise.

I've noticed that those are both the lines that pass through to the emergency telephones in a power failure... I think, so wondering if the cards have been damaged in the past and those lines are more resiliant?

Also if I leave one module out I can access the line provisioning menu and see that I have 6 of the default 8 credits available, I can't use that menu with both cards in because it warns me it's only for digital cards.

Another thing that doesn't help is that there doesn't seem to me manual for this software revision anywhere online, I've been using every manual I can find including the 6x16 because I think that one has a more similar menu layout.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, it is just for hobby/lab stuff but still would be nice to get it all running.

Oh also can anyone tell me what the straps/jumpers on the back od the NTBB30AF-93 are for? Only found them mentioned in one manual and it was pretty vague.

My initial thoughts would be that you have a Norstsr Modular system. Can you kindly post a photo for confirmation please?.

I recall that they had 2 line module slots which were lines 001 to 004 and 031 to 034 for the 2nd slot.

I'm not sure if the analogue trunk settings were Earth "ground" calling as they used to be the preferred setting for BT customers.

I would access the system via a terminal and make the trunks loop calling.

Also make all the trunks public if you only have one line to test with.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Hi Firebird,

Here's a couple of pictures of the system:
IMG_2788_sayyvx.jpg
IMG_2789_qrx3px.jpg

I've set all trunks to loop unguarded as I'm using a fritzbox with two FXS ports to test.

So far I've been placeing the trunks in and out of pool A to test them individually, I haven't been able to wrap my head around accessing public lines, but I'll give it a shot

*Trunks Cards

Since it is the same issue with both cards then I doubt the cards are at fault.

Programming:
Older software:
Lines are 001, 002, 004, 004, 025, 026, 027, 028

Newer software:
Lines are 001, 002, 004, 004, 031, 032, 033, 034

Wiring:
After every 2 lines skip 2 sets of pins.
Pins 1&2, 3&4, Skip, Skip, 9&10, 11,&12, Skip, Skip etc.

Click the FAQ tab up top then scroll down to the bottom to view the wiring schemes.

Guide names include system version if you know it:
Norstar MICS Installer Guide
Norstar MICS System Coordinator Guide

In Maintenance go to System Version and post us the SP code you see or, again the FAQ tab and look for my FAQ about the SP Codes to get the system version such a s 4.0 or 7.1 etc.
This will hel get the right guide

For emergency we used to just loop the line to a 2nd reception jack.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I did nor see the 2 replies above....but your software appears to be first version R1T1, should say it on the cartridge.

If you put the wrong lines in the pool such as 005 etc then dont forget to remove them.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

So I was just re-terminating to make sure, but misscounted:

IMG_2790_f97mlq.jpg

(please excuse the shoddiness, I'm just trying to not spend too much money making sure it's working before I go and buy proper cables, but I have been doing continuity tests to rule that out)

So, as it's wired in that picture works, those two pairs are lines 003 (on top) and 004 (on bottom), this is the first time those lines have worked for me!

Am I being stupid about counting or is something else happening?

also my SP is 30HvG00 GP2, and the cartridge says I.420 WI6.0

You have a Norstar 0+32 Modular system. It was called that in the UK.

Connections for additional modules were via fibre.
The "0" meant a mixture of trunks as you could have up to two analogue or digital PRI cards.

We use 30 channels for PRI circuits, hence the line number order for the second slot starting at 031 etc.

The box conn wiring was confusing if you used non standard BT supplied cables and the krone strips were important to have in place in the wiring box.

Don't have all your trunks in line pool "A" as you have fun dialling out because the Norstar always uses the last trunk to dial out first.

However, the Modular should have dial tone detect enabled to prevent repeated line access issues.

Loop unguarded is fine on UK analogue trunks.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

please excuse the shoddiness"

Oh boy oh boy!
That is a first.
You need to plug in a special 25pair AMP Cable to that connector, not terminate wires to it direct!

Get a double ended one and cut it in half or source some old ones as you need one for your sets too.

Looks like your lines 1 & 2 are bent up on the left side now.

From what it looks like that is not telecom cable either.

Firebird can help source/point out equipment maybe since your in the UK.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I found this video that shows you how the AMP cable is wired.
They are using the Canadian BIX connector at the end of the cable to terminate onto the block.

Firebird mentioned Krone above, that is the UK version which is very similar.

However for the lab you can just connect the raw end how you want.

You should carefully try to fix those top pins before putting in the amp cable.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back