Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar 'Feature Inactive'

Status
Not open for further replies.

7canines

Technical User
Jul 5, 2008
US
We have become vendor for Nortel system that 'died' and former vendor has retired! I got the system back up but am getting a 'Feature Inactive' on any and all phones when attempting to access vmail. Any ideas on how to resolve that issue.

side note: vmail was working fine, failure was due to PBX chassis totally failing after 2nd rebuild.

Feature inactive means that the Norstar/BCM phone system can't recognise the phone, add on etc that connects to a port such as a digital one.

If the voice mail system is a separate unit, then the chances are that it's power supply is faulty.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

It is best to provide details when posting.
Specify which feature you are talking about.
Example: Did you mean Feature 981? or what about Feature 983 or Feature 903?

When posting
You also did not mention (on failed and replacement) what model phone systems, or which model voicemail system and which software levels for both.

You might have a compatibility issue where you need to have the correct software levels, ie you need to upgrade the voice mail if you if upped they KSU software.

"failure was due to PBX chassis totally failing after 2nd rebuild"
I cannot translate, maybe more coffee....for me!

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Norstar 'chassis', in my initial listing, refers to the cabinet. This is a large Norstar cabinet (+/-15" x 30") and the vmail cabinet is the same size. They are connected by fiber link. Please forgive my rudimentary description as I am not a certified Norstar tech, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

The customer had lost power and the phones came up in default programming. Tech went out and got it partially working. I went out and got lines 3 through 5 working, the ringing correct and built the mailboxes (original ext #'s were 100 series as were the mbx's). All was well for an hour or so, then the system just 'freaked out' (all phones began flashing and would not stop). That's when I took another Norstar cabinet out. I removed the fiber connector to the vmail during all the change out steps. Even used the same 'memory card' in the replacement cabinet. I got the phones back up and running, but all vmail features (981, 983, etc.) were marked as 'inactive feature'. Even rebooted the whole thing with the vmail connected. Looking through the manuals I couldn't find where I could enter them, hence my post...

Well that helps, thanks!

Do you have the original software card for the KSU?

Sounds like:
KSU = Norstar MICS 0X32 (Modular ICS)
Voicemail = Nortar NAM (Norstar Applications Module)

Now to know what versions they are...

MICS - look at the software PCMCIA card, it would say (DR X.X) (examples 1.0, 2.0 , 4.0, 4.1, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 7.1)
or R1T1 which is the old one piece cartridge
Or best, get the SP version under Maintenance/Software version and compare it here to get the version.

Voice mail - log into F983 then press 9 and note the version number.

For future save this PDF file of Nortel model types.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

The original software card is in the currently running cabinet. I described it as 'memory card'.

Maybe the NAM's hard drive just crashed, technically it should have done so years ago if it the original hard drive.
Coincidently a ran into one yesterday, it was on an 8X24, first one I have seen in a year or so.

Things you can view or try...

For the record, when you reboot the NAM it will take a few minutes, you will get single beeps spread apart then finally the series of alternating (ascending/descending) tones to state it is ready.

On the face at the bottom you will see the codes, note them when it boots up or appears hung.
It it seems to repeat the pattern then make sure that the fibre cable is plugged in correctly and all the way in at both ends.
If need (see below first for port status), swap a fibre cable from another module, test both, what ever was on the other module and the NAM, this will prove or omit a cable issue.

Listen carefully to the hard drive, is it whiny or scraping sound.

-Go into Maintenance/Port Status and see what is on the ports the voicemail using.
Tip - See where the fibre cable plugs into on the MICS.
In the MICS, the slim expansion card will have a number above the port, the bottom port is 3, second one up is 4 and so on.
In Maintenance/Port Status show X01 where X is the port number on the exp card.
I think it would say PCID as the device.
That will tell you that the KSU does see the NAM

Feature 9*1 tell you what the feature codes are.
Sometimes the features will move, if you try to connect a second NAM it will take on other features that might start at F873 instead of 9.

To remove all features from the KSU, power down the NAM, use Feature **XFTEST with the config password then remove all the features it shows.
Boot up NAM and wait for the alternating (ascending/descending) tones and test.

Check software levels on both
HD sound check
Beep pattern
LED status numbers, pattern
Fibre cable
Port Status
F9*1
F**XFTEST

Replacement for the NAM would be a NAM with 4.1 softwware
or
Callpilot with software 3.1, model 100 or 150 depending on requirements (call centre etc) mailbox count, how many lines and/or if all line are straight to AA or reception.
You may need keycodes for the Callpilot.

Outta Ammo!

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back