Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar Compact 616 has very quiet lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeEEM_Tech

Technical User
Feb 11, 2019
CA
We have a 616 installed in one of our offices that we purchased from a local supplier. My work being very cheap purchased 2 Linksys PAP2T VoIP adapters. All but one of the lines (Line 2) is barely audible. (Though Line 2 also has an issue with volume. The party on the other end cannot hear our employees.) Intercom on the system works fine. However the outside lines, as mentioned are very quiet. I spent 4 hours over the weekend trying to rectify the issue to no avail. I have never run into this issue with these older systems and the building operator would prefer to keep the Norstar if possible. Alongside my career I have a diploma in Electrical Engineering so if there is an internal repair required that doesn't require too much. I can perform it with basic tools I have on hand.

Im not sure if the signal on the Analog VoIP adapters is too weak. (which doesn't explain my line 2 issue.)

Thanks,

Measure the line current on each line. A normal reading will measure between 25-35mA.

At the VoIP without KSU connected, what is the port voltage. If you have a regular 2500 set to attach, also check voltage with phone off-hook.

Compare the REN rating on the VoIP units to the rating on the label on the KSU.

If you have a linesman test set, check each line at the VoIP device for volume.

If you have an old 2500 set or standard phone, plug into the emergency jack on the 616. When you remove AC power to the KSU, line one should be available on the rj11 (lower right side of ksu). Check audio there.

I assume you tried more than one station to rule out a bad station / bad port. If not, try 3 or so random ports with a different set.

The cross connect cables from the VoIP unit to the KSU have been inspected / swapped to ensure clean non-oxidized connections ?

I would start with these check items before trying to open the KSU.

Thanks, I just checked everything you suggested and still have found nothing out of the ordinary. Any other suggestions.

I had this problem on a Norstar Compact 6 line and 16 extension unit. It was found to be a faulty port and I was lucky in using a spare trunk. Swapping over the pair with another trunk should prove the problem lies on the trunk port.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

If Firebird Scrambler's idea does not yield a solution, I think you are looking at replacing the KSU.

Before opening up the KSU to make component level tests and repairs, I would suggest looking at the costs for parts and time vs. replacing the 616. Even if there is pressure to stay with a Nortel 616, a replacement KSU can be found in grey channels for small money. When you try to replace board level components, it is tough today to find parts that have the same form factor (aside from resistors). There are good companies that sell refurb supplies, but you need to price out the parts vs. the cost to replace the whole KSU. The value of your time enters in somewhere as well. A 616 has very little programming content, so you should have little time needed to program a replacement. Just check the face of your KSU, the printing should be green or beige, just get the same color in the replacement. Look at the software cartridge (when powered off) and get the same DR level in the replacement software. Not sure on timeframes, but maybe your local supplier will stand behind the KSU and offer a swap-out.

All but one of the lines (Line 2) is barely audible. (Though Line 2 also has an issue with volume."

No tools? Swap the cables on line 2 with any other line and see if problem swaps too or if it stays then you will know if Gateway or KSU issue.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Well, after removing the KSU to rearrange the wiring. I hung it back up and miraculously, all my lines were working.

Im not sure what I did. My guess is I bumped something inside. Looking back, I remember the relays on lines 1, 3, 4 and 5 were silent when the line opened. Now I know in my experience that relays can stick. So I believe the relays werent activating at all.

Anyways, problem rectified.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back