Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar CID card locks up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExContel

Vendor
Jan 27, 2010
US
I installed a Norstar CICS w/ 7.1 software and one CID trunk
recently and the CID card just locks up and will not give dial
tone until you unplug and plug system back up. The system doesnt go down just the trunk card. I am retired from phone
company and we have installed these for years. There are three
mig welders in this building and I believe I have a power issue. I have replaced the entire system down to trunk cable
to punch down and surge protection. I took the original CICS
system and installed it in another location, not one problem.
The business owner is not happy and I understand his point but I do not know how to PROVE to him it is a power issue.
He also wants me to replace all voice cables with shielded on my dime. This problem happens once or twice a week and the system will occasionally lose some programming also! PLEASE
HELP!

Have you tried installing a power conditioner or UPS to insure you have a constant voltage to the KSU. If you look in the installation manual it talks about RF interference from high powered devices such as copiers, printers, x-ray machines, etc. So my question is, do you have any devices within 10' of the KSU that may cause any interference?

One trick we used to do when we had a system installed near high powered AM or FM antennas was to use RF ferrite beads on the wiring for the trunks.

--DB

There is a Tripp Lite Te-600 ups on it and I also installed
a LS-604 power line conditioner to no avail. There is also
nothing that close to ksu.

I have had high loop current cause problems like this many times (rural area), however your problem may related to your environmental issues.

One fix was to install resistors (300 ohm to start) in both R&T to get the loop current below 30ma.
or
Fix two was to replace the CLID line card with an old line card NT5B41GA (CLID card with raised edge). I have found these line cards far more tolerant to wide ranges of loop currents and other CLID issues.

Panamax make Line Conditioner power bars that accept add-on modules for digital sets and analog telephone lines. I use the analog line protection on rural installations or customers with known power problems and the digital protection for both ends of an OPX in another building. If you are grasping at straws, then using the digital modules on each set inside the building in addition to line protection may help. If using a UPS put the Panamax surge protection ahead of the UPS.

Good luck,

Rob

Just a thought but could you be having problems with the disconnect supervision setting on the trunks. Without it if anybody is call forward externally both lines will be "locked" in use till you either physically disconnect one of the truncks or disconnect the power. It won't take very long to lock up all your trunks.

Thanks guys, you have given me ideals to look into the next time it goes down. That is one of the frustrating things about this particular problem it has now been 11 days since it
last froze the CID card up.

Disconnect supervision on those lines would be the first thing I'd check for too.

Phonehed in Dallas

Thanks guys, the customer did have disconnect supervision to start with but I just checked and now they don't. Hopefully that is what the problem is. I have been so perplexed because
I had checked for disconnect supervision which they had a couple of months ago and ASSUMED they still had it.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back