Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar 6x16 DTMF signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seattleguy

Technical User
Jun 25, 2013
US
I installed a 6x16 and they recently has an electric gate installed. There is a dial pad for entry. On that that dial pad there is a relay I was told by the gate company to connect their in/out which i believe was the tip n ring to a CO port on the phone system. So now the visitor hits the call button it rings line 3, they answer line 3 the parties are connected...... then u are supposed to press 9 to open the gate but nothing happens. The gate installer says the phone system is not sending out a signal to trigger the gate to open. The gate opens fine otherwise. Is there a setting in the Norstar where u can adjust or lengthen the DTMF signal the system is putting out.
Is there anything that i can try?? I know it is set to tone and not pulse.
Thank you

After answering the call try feature 808 (long tones) and then dial 9 and hold the digit for a bit, see if that works. Then you could program a button for that feature on your set if it works.

The call is connected from the call button on outside entry pad to the office phone...... feature 808 pressed u get that annoying error sound and the display says invalid code. Could F808 work on the newer MICS but not the old 6x16??

In programming, under General Admin, Capabilities, Set abilities, [pick a set number], Receive Tones

Check to see if the flag on Receive tones (near the end of the scroll list after selecting a set number) is set to "Y" please, then test your gate release "9" tone from that extension you just modified.

On the 616, the receive tones flag was intended to allow you to use an internal phone to communicate with an old-school answering machine or fax selector. Although it says receive tones, it opens a 2-way gate.

Also, you have to wait for the connection to the gate call pad to connect before you can key in Feature 808. The 616 DR5 will support F808 after a call is connected.

The call was connected, we were talking. I pressed F808..... nothing. Then 9.... nothing.

There is no way to hook up my test set to the entry dial pad, the unit is all installed and closed up.

line 003. Set it up on ext 21 ring & appear. i can answer the call from the gate F808 does not work, nor does pressing 9 to activate the gate. I'm stumped. Have been told it should work. Customer isn't happy, wants me to replace the phone system

I have a DS-DR5 616 in the lab and tested F808 and a remote device connected via a Viking line emulator. I have receive tones set to "Y" for the station phone I used and when I have a call open F808 works and if I lean on "9" I get an extended coded tone for "9"

On my lab set, on hook, F808 results in message "Make Call First".

From remote device, I initiated a call into Line 01, and with the call in progress, I did F808, I receive the message "Please Wait" for one or two seconds and then it clears and if I press a numeric key, I hear the DTMF code generate and I see displayed "Long Tones" and the numeral pressed and it continues as I hold the key down.

Is your software DR5 ? If you use a M7310 phone, what shows up on the display when you F808 ?

The connection of the line to the 616 requires a modular plug which must cross connect to a nearby point as you must already have dealt with, can you put a butt set on that (block,jack,terminal) to listen for the tone, since the gate box is closed up ?

Also, just to eliminate the chance of a bad line port if you cannot hear the tone on the butt set, can you move the door phone to line 04, go into programming and set line 04 (or any open line not in use on the 616) to tone, go to a station and set the capabilities for that set to receive tones, and then try the door phone connection and see if Feature 808 will work ?

Seattleguy - Sounds like a DKS Door King you're working on. Get the key from the owner, open the box and connect your buttset to the terminal strip where the return wire pair to the phone system is. Then press the call button and it should ring your buttset. Go offhook, press 9 and see if the gate opens. Getting this working right there at the gate box will simplify troubleshooting.
Also, these types of gate controllers can be programmed to have different digits activate the gate opening relay so a 9 may not be the correct digit to activate the relay and open the gate.
Imagine how happy the owner will be if you replace the phone system and the trouble turns out to be the programming of the gate box.

Also meant to mention another troubleshooting measure. Disconnect the gate line from the Norstar, connect it to your buttset and have someone press the call button at the gate. When your buttset rings, go offhook, press 9 and see if the gate opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back