Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norstar 3x8 DR5 low transmit volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

dttocs

Systems Engineer
Nov 25, 2019
CA
I’m visiting family and they have asked me to look at a 1993-vintage Norstar 3x8 at a local non-profit which is misbehaving. It has very low transmit volume on both lines (from all sets), and is unable to dial out from one line (seems like DTMF doesn’t register).
This is a relatively new problem, although apparently the second trunk port (202) hasn’t worked for some time - they have been using 201 and 203 for several years successfully.
The low transmit volume has been present for a month or so. I’m not sure how long since it was possible to dial out on the one line.

Things I’ve tried:
- connecting directly to the outgoing lines with an analog handset
- both lines sound fine to people I call
- no issues with DTMF dial-out on either line
- swapping sets
- most of the sets are newer (charcoal) M7208 and all behave the same
- an older (beige) M7310 behaves the same way

This seems to me like the KSU is slowly dying, but I don’t really want to reset it in case it stops working entirely. They don’t have anyone local supporting/servicing the system and I haven’t been able to find anyone local who will respond, other than the local phone company who are expensive and fairly useless (they just want to sell a new VOIP system for $5000+).

It’s running DR5 software if that’s relevant.

Is this a common problem? I’ve seen reference to electrolytic capacitors on the trunk lines causing similar low transmit volume problems on larger CICS and MICS systems but not on 3x8.

Any suggestions on next steps? Anything else I should investigate to further diagnose?

I’m tempted to buy a refurbished 3x8 DR5 or DR5.1 KSU and try a swap, but I know almost nothing about Norstar beyond what I’ve read over the weekend... They are using very basic features, no voicemail, no feature programming, just multiple extensions and transferring calls, so it appears the reprogramming should be straightforward.

Did you test the lines at Demarc with your test set to prove if carrier or KSU?

It is common on all Norstar KSU's/Cards for the ports to fail over the years or when lighting strikes and several surges and so on.
If 202 (Line 02) is dead or low volume and the other 2 (Line 01 and 03) are low volume then your out of luck since your out of spares.

For DTMF the line needs to be programmed for Tones as Rotary is default....maybe the system defaulted programming.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks Curlycord,

Yes, I tested both lines by unplugging from the KSU and verified that volume was good and I could send DTMF tones successfully. I also verified that configuration was tones rather than pulse and the tones were audible on remote when using a Norstar set (I made a call then pressed buttons and asked the call recipient)

Thanks for confirming my guess - now I just need to figure out how to get my hands on a KSU before I leave on Thursday night. (or find someone who provides Norstar service in Guelph, Ontario... any suggestions, feel free to PM me)

Try these local to you:
Techsgo
Acme Telecom
RecordTel
Greb-Tel website currently down but the links shows their #

3X8's are hard to find and if you do find one expect to pay around $500 CAD.
Replacements to 3X8 and 6X16 in order and easier to find:
Norstar CICS (Compact ICS) 4X8 and expandable with software and/or exp card
Norvaya BCM50 - Uses keycodes and expandable, IP sets compatible, web interface.

Otherwise start saving for a newer type of system.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

It's common for the electrolytic caps in the line circuits to go bad. Since this old fella is 26 years old, that would be my guess. If you're handy with a soldering iron you could look into replacing the caps on the main board. If not, I'd go with curlycord's suggestion to retire the 308 and replace with something newer.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

If you don't have any luck with the above providers, I service the western GTA and can probably help you out. Don't know how to pm on this site though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back