Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NORMALIZATION PROCESS STRUGGLING

Status
Not open for further replies.

theMISman

MIS
Dec 13, 2010
US
Ok lets say I am given a this information

for each publisher,list the publisher code,publisher name, and city where publisher is located

would i do something on the lines of this

Publisher as Table (PublisherId as primary key ,Publisher_Code,Publisher_Name, City)

another example is for each college, list the number, name, location, and number of employees working at the bookstore.

Would i do something on the lines of this

College as Table (CollegeID,College_Name,College_Location,Employee)

publishers is correct -- the code, the name, and the city all depend on the (entire) primary key, so it's 3NF

colleges is incorrect -- name and location depend on the primary key, but i'm sure there is more than one employee in a bookstore, and employee is not an attribute of the college

in fact, where's bookstore?

r937.com | rudy.ca
Buy my new book Simply SQL from Amazon

another example is for each book,list its code,title,publisher code, name, and price

so a boook table(BookID, Book_Code,Book_Name, Publisher_Code,Publisher_Name, Publisher_Price)

theMISman said:
so a boook table(BookID, Book_Code,Book_Name, Publisher_Code,Publisher_Name, Publisher_Price)

Think of it this way, any particular piece of information, other than a foreign key, should not appear in multiple records in a table. If you are finding that it does, you should likely put that information in another related table, then replace the field with a Foreign Key to that related table.

is ther a NORMALIZATION fourm in tek tips
perhaps we can start one

than you

Pwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back