Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Normalisation - not understood

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamm

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
GB
Hi,
could any of you guys recommend any good literature or sites that may explain normalisation in a better way than I've been told so far. I am really not grasping normalisation at the moment.
Cheers

Liam If you can help, GREAT
If I can help, EVEN BETTER

The Objective of Normalization

The intent of normalizing a relational database can be reduced to one simple aphorism:

One Fact In One Place.

By decomposing your relations into Third Normal Form, you can eliminate the majority of update anomalies that can
occur when data is stored in unnormalized tables.

Decomposition is attained through a series of projections of a relational schema into a set of normalized relations that optimize the concision of attributes.

I got this from Teradata RDBMS Database Design -- Chapter 5. You can get a copy at

This book is not intended for a Novice but look through it and see if there is anything you can use.

Database Design for Mere Mortals: A Hands-On Guide to Relational Database Design
ISBN: 0201694719

Absolutely the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back