Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Normal wiring standards? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinnt

MIS
Feb 11, 2002
US
Hi,

I was wondering if it's normal to do a cross over wiring from wall jack to wall jack? Or should it regularly be straight thru? Where, along the path of the wire (from PC to PC) do the wires normally cross?

I guess I'm just confused when to use straight thru wiring, and crossover wiring...

Thanks

You use crossover wiring when connecting PC to PC. wirring from MDF to Jack is staight-thru. That way your wirring is standard throughout your building and then you can use cross over patch cables for some misc equipment that might need it.

"Straight through" wiring is the default for data networking. As you probably are aware, telephone cables have a twist in them, reversing the terminations, but data cables are straight pin for pin. The basic data circuit requires straight through cabling to function, that is from an active hub/switch to a workstation.

If you are trying to put two of the same device together (generally) you will need the crossover cable. Hooking one PC directly to another PC would require a crossover, hooking one hub/switch to another hub/switch would require a crossover cable (unless there is an uplink port on one end which does the crossover part for you.)

When you get into other little devices like Cable Modems, DSL Modems, routers, etc. things get a little blurred. However most of these devices come with a cable designed for that specific use.

Hope that helps!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back