Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Normal.Dot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal4462

Technical User
May 29, 2001
US
My daughter was doing her term-paper on my computer and for some reason Word stored that document as a default that opens up to her paper each time we open Word. How do we remove her term paper from the default and have it open to the usual blank page - Document1? Thanks for any help

...the "joys of being a parent" !!!

The solution is to FIRST save your daughter's file to a DIFFERENT filename, preferably in a folder under her name ...e.g. C:\Jennifer\School Work\filename.doc - where you replace "filename.doc" with a name relating to the content of your daughter's file. If you haven't already created folders such as in the example, you can do this separately in Explorer, or when you save the file.

Secondly, open a BLANK file in Word (you may "format" the BLANK file if you prefer to have a "default" page come up when you start Word), and then save the file to the same location and filename as your daughter (accidentally) saved her file. That location/filename is: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\Normal.dot".

That should resolve your problem. From then on, the (BLANK) "Normal.dot" file will be the file which is loaded automatically when you start Word.

Hope this has been helpful, and not difficult to follow.

Regards, ...Dale Watson dwatson@bsi.gov.mb.ca

Better yet, after saving the term paper, just delete the file normal.dot. Word will create a new one next time you start the application.

My normal.dot is without any tollbars and now i can´t see any toolbars and can not select anyone because is not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back