Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Normal.dot saves upon close

Status
Not open for further replies.

eljefe79

MIS
Jul 9, 2001
US
Hello all,

I have a user running Office 2000 on XP Pro SP1. The user installed a viewing utility on his desktop that interfaced with IE for creating forms. Does'nt remember the vendor. Problem started with the apps install and remained after the uninstall.

Word is slow to close and saves the normal.dot after every document closure--an entry is also included in the MRU. The issue is global under all profiles, no virii, no app support is available and a reinstall of office has been done with no effect.

I was thinking that there may be a hidden DDE call working in the background however there is little information on auditing or removing legacy settings from this hidden service.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks,

Jefe

You're getting a prompt to save normal.dot, right?

Look under Tools > Options > Save tab > make sure that "Prompt to save Normal Template" is unchecked

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

No prompt at all......the status screen at the bottom of the document window says saving normal.dot(.....). I wish it was a simple check-box. Recreation of the nomal.dot template didn't work, no virii, seems like vb code is running in the background on the close of word...I think it's a legacy DDE call from the uninstalled software that remains. Just can't figure out where those calls could be identified and removed.

Thanks,

Any help?

While in WOrd, open the VB Editor (Alt+F11).
Any modules present? Delete any module that shouldn't be there (i.e. anything you didn't put there by right clicking on it and selecting Remove..., "No" when asked if you want to export the module first....

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

I had a similar problem. They installed an upgrade to Omnipage on my machine. It added some COM-addins to my Word set-up. After turning those off in Word, my problem dissappeared.

Do you have the latest office updates installed?

angelaowb (IS/IT--Manageme) Mar 26, 2004
I had a similar problem. They installed an upgrade to Omnipage on my machine. It added some COM-addins to my Word set-up. After turning those off in Word, my problem dissappeared.

angelaowb was right on the money. removing the com components solved the issue.....Kudos

Thanks to all,

Jefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back