Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Normal Backup (reset archive bit) fails 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinalake

Technical User
May 10, 2000
US
I perform three distinct backups - Daily (differential), Weekly (Normal - reset archive bit) and a Monthly (Normal - reset archive bit).  My Daily runs with no problem.  My Weekly and Monthly both complete yet in the log the very last line shows 'failed'.  I had the need to restore some data last week and I used a supposedly 'failed' Weekly and the data was there.  I must find a fix for this - my micro-manager wants that 'failed' line  to go away - even though the data is there).  HELP

Check the log of the failed jobs. Somewhere in there will be your failure - mine is access denied to an email directory that is empty.<br><br>Everything works correctly, but as it cannot get access to the directory, the log shows a failure every day. I really must sort it out...

Tried that one.&nbsp;&nbsp;No 'access denied' type of errors.&nbsp;&nbsp;By the way, my version of Backup Exec is 7.01 rev 1616.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks for the tip though.

What errors do you get then? Can you post the log? Go to the log window, save the log / select all copy and paste to a file and email to <A HREF="mailto:zel@zelandakh.co.uk">zel@zelandakh.co.uk</A> if you feel security will be compromised posting &quot;globally&quot; to TT.

CHINALAKE - Was your problem solved?&nbsp;&nbsp;I am having a similar one and can't figure it out.&nbsp;&nbsp;Please let me know.

Yes, I have solved it.&nbsp;&nbsp;What I did was deleted the scripts, one by one, and re-created them.&nbsp;&nbsp;That was the last thing I did before rebooting that weekend.&nbsp;&nbsp;It seems to have done the trick (so far).&nbsp;&nbsp;I still have yet to understand just why that fixed it though.&nbsp;&nbsp;Absolutely nothing else was done between my last 'failure' and the re-doing of the scripts.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hope this helps out somehow.

I'm sorry. I don't understand what you mean by &quot;the scripts&quot;<br>Would this be the same as the &quot;settings&quot;.<br>I tried defining a new job identical to the one that failed but that one behaved the same.<br>Please let me know.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks.

I'm having exactly the same problem but mine tells me <br><br>OFO: unknown error 0x5aa<br>OFO: initialisation failure<br><br>at the start and the backup continues and at the end, even though the files are verified correctly it tells me job failed. I need to get this fixed and even more importnantly I need the OFO fixed cos I need to do incremental backups everyday every two hours.<br><br>any help?<br><br>

I'm having a tiny problem...I can't seem to tell the diference between a Diferential and Incremental back up...HELP

Differential Backup is when new or changed files are backed up but the achive bit (which tells backup programs that the file has or has not been backed up) is left alone. This way next time you do a backup that look for changed files will still back these files up. Incremental backups backup changed or new files and then reset the archive bit so the next backup that looks for changed files will ignore these files. When the file is changed it's archive bit is set telling the Backup program [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back