Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NoRefresh requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortyII

Programmer
Sep 8, 2003
NL
Hello,

I have a browse where all my shipments are listed.
The planner goes to the sipment he want's to view and then Enters. With the Enterkey he comes in the detailscreen. Here he can view and edit the shipment details.
When he quits he comes back into the browser to select another shipment.

Now the question is as following.
Ad the moment the refresh in the program is
SET REFRESH TO 3,1

But because of performance issues we want to go to NoRefresh.
I thougth this should be simple by doing SET REFERSH TO 0,0. But when i Enter the shipment i use SET FILTER TO because the shipment can come into a status so that the browse/filter filters him out and that would give me a End Of File Endcounterd when issueing the GATHER with changes.

Now when i use SET FILTER TO the refresh is activated again.
Which i previously set to 0,0.

I tryed to do again SET REFRESH TO 0,0 but that had no affect.
The second thing i tryed was NOREFRESH in the browse but this also didn't work.

Has anyone have a sollution for this strange problem??
I check the help file for the command SET REFRESH but sollution was found.

Thanx in advance

I was trying to find some documentation on the "undocumented" 3rd parameter, but I got involved with an internal problem. I'll go start looking again.

Rick

I still don't have an "answer" for you, but I found the following in the Hacker's Guide, and while it's specifically for VFP, I believe that it applies equally to the older versions.
It seems to us that the default setting of 5 seconds should beat the server to death with so many requests to update data that the entire system would come crashing down, but that hasn't been our experience. On very large systems or WANs where network bandwidth is a precious commodity, we recommend you try raising the refresh level by doubling it and checking the performance change to the network and application. Ten, 20 or even 40 seconds between updates might not make that much difference in the appearance of your application, but could significantly affect other network performance criteria. As always, your mileage may vary; test your application under your environment to be sure of optimal performance.
Rick

Thanx for the effort.
But this isn’t the solution for me.
Then I have to think of something else to solve my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back