Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noramalize a table with data in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aydan

Technical User
Dec 14, 2002
BE
Hi,

I have a contacts table where I also store the postal code and City in. Now, I wisely decided to split this information by adding a PostalcodeID field to the contacts table. I have also the table with the postal codes and Cities ready. I am looking for the wizard which I, once, when I imported some data from excel, automatically got. My question is, where this wizard can be found. Or if there is an other way to accomplish the operation of splitting the information.

if you want to change the postal code field to a number and bind that number to the postal code table change field type to lookupwixared and take it from there

Do you mean that I can leave the postal code in contacts table as the primary key to link the postalcodes table to?

According to what you've described, City depends on Postal Code. The contacts table wouldn't need the city and postal code if you're constricting contacts to only defined-cities and postal codes. Just the postal code ID.

In your contacts table, you can go to the Postal Code ID field, and click the 'lookup' tab, and specify that you it to get its values from the Postal Code table.

And you might want to go to the relationships window and draw a 1-M relationship between Constacts and Postal Codes.

Why a one to many relationship? A contact can have only one postal code?

I guess they could have more than one. If that was the case, then you would need to break it down even further. A Contants-PostalCode intersection table. I just assumed that if someone mailed things to their customers, they would send it to only one address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back