Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noob xslt question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarnish

Technical User
Nov 13, 2006
US
Hi all,

I'm new to xml/xslt. I'm trying to use a small amount of xml in an existing web page. The web page is NOT dynamic.

I'd think I could use regular xhtml/css for most of the page, but then include some xml (formatted with xslt) for the specific areas I need that data.

Can someone explain, or point me to a good explanation, of what my options are in terms of getting xml data into a web page if I prefer NOT to have to use xslt to style the entire page?

Sorry if that's not clear or has already been asked.

Thanks,
T

You've all the server-side technologies, including but not limited to xslt, at your disposal to deal with the data. Basically parse the xml and feed the data to the response stream. You need to get acquaintance with an xml-parser that fits into the scene server-side. In a sense, the "web page is NOT dynamic" is at odd with the requirement, but that's just rhetoric.

Thanks for the reply, tsuji.

I guess I'm still stuck understanding what my options are for this simple site. If not for the xml requirements, the site would be done in xhtml/javascript/css.

It seems with xml I probably need xslt, but does that mean that css is out? Is my new paradigm for this project xhtml/xml/xslt/javascript?

Are there options other than that? Is that even an option?

Thanks,
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back