Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noob Needs some help making HTML edits on PHP page

Status
Not open for further replies.

dball63

MIS
Jan 31, 2001
US
I've got this site that I've been keeping up to date as best I can for a few years, it has one page that uses php to present an image gallery. That page also has some html in a frame on the page that I cannot figure out where to edit or make changes? Could use some help finding it. I just need to make some simple edits to it.

David

As the server admin/editor, only you would be aware of the source PHP (what PHP is generating or requiring/including from another source). Nobody here can point you to what to edit without seeing the source PHP.

How do I find it? I'm not familiar enough with the php stuff to know where to look?

When I open my site in firefox developer/debugger view I can find my text, it looks like its in /gallery/main.php but when I download the file and open it I don't see my text there. So I'm missing something......Sorry I'm such a noob.

Hi

To expand on spamjim's answer, /gallery/main.php may acquire the text from various sources :
[ul]
[li]Read text/PHP/other file on the same machine[/li]
[li]Query SQL/NoSQL/other database[/li]
[li]Download file through HTTP/FTP/other protocol[/li]
[li]Request from SOAP/REST/other API service[/li]
[/ul]
Or more of the above.

Without knowing what exactly your script is doing, is quite impossible to tell you where and what to edit.

Feherke.
feherke.github.io

OK, I'll keep looking, I know its here somewhere......

dball63 said:
When I open my site in firefox developer/debugger view...

You cannot see PHP in the browser. It has already been processed by the server. The web browser is only displaying the HTML output produced by the PHP code. You need to dig around on your server to find the unprocessed source PHP files stored there. Understanding the concept of server side vs client side scripting is fundamental to web development. It would be useful to review the basics of PHP before attempting to edit anything, especially as poorly managed PHP code can expose your server to exploits and very bad days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back