Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

noob need a little bit of help and advice (one-x) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobywhiting10

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2022
GB
hello all,

TLDR: trying to get an IP office unit I have lying around working for the fun of it. would like to get application server up and running but have no way of downloading it (no customer number).

A while ago I acquired an Avaya IP office 500V2 control unit. I got fed up with seeing it sitting there doing nothing so I decided to get a couple of IP phones and try to get the system working just for the fun of it.
Thanks to this forum I managed to find the licences for the system (I think I have all of them) ending up with 18 IP endpoints, 7 office workers, prefer addition and essential edition see photo:
Screenshot_2022-08-20_163406_soszyd.png

I only have a couple of questions:

Am I right in saying that to use any form of sip trunk I need a separate licence

my main question is I would like to be able to use the one-x mobile app (and Workplace Client). As far as I can tell this needs to communicate with the one-x portal server. I have the resources available to me to host any software that may be required. I have read about an application server that runs many different IP office software. is this an actual ISO that could be downloaded and run or is it just the name given to a server hosting Avaya related software? I cannot find any information on support.avaya.com relating to the application server (Edit: I think it is this? ).

thair is another issue because I acquired the system, I do not have a soldto number so when creating an Avaya account don't have access to services such as pdls meaning it is very difficult for me to download any software.

could you please tell me roughly how applications like avaya one-x works? (do I need sip trunks)

Thanks for your help happy to answer any questions, Toby

Sip trunks do require a license. You don't need SIP trunks for One-X.

The application server is the same software as server edition except you don't install the phone server part. It is just the Voicemail Pro and One-X parts.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Great, thanks that's very helpful

does anybody know how I can download the application server without having an avaya account?

That's not a problem

I'm more than happy to use port forwarding (or some other tricks). Even if I can only use the app inside my local network that's fine. Like I said just trying to get it working for the luring experience.

My main problem is downloading the application server. I doubt I'll get it from avaya if I contact them.

Yes SIP trunks need licences. You can now only get licences for R10 and 11 now so you'll need to upgrade which isn't going to be cheap.

If you pay for the upgrade I'm sure the BP can download the files for you.

The Workplace client speaks directly to the IP Office and doesn't need One-X portal which makes life easier.

If I could find the application server would it work with R9 as the system is now.

Other than a intercom like system or by connecting analog truck lines (I have 2 combo cards) could I use it for any thing else?

Yes but it needs to match your version of IP Office.

Avaya kept on changing direction on softphones and I suspect even those here have lost track of things.

At R9 I think there was Communicator for Windows and iPad or One-X mobile all of which needs One-X portal.

With your current set up your IP phones should be able to make and receive calls over the analogue trunks.

IP Office is very well documented but there is a lot to take in.

Avaya have pushed up the cost of upgrades and made it increasingly difficult to access the software I suspect to push everyone to the cloud.

Ok I think that answers all of my questions

thanks to everyone for their help

I wouldn't be surprised if avaya are trying to push everyone to Cloud

Depending on how things go I might investigate FreePBX in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back