Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noob Ajax question

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguinspeaks

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
US
Being brand new to Ajax and a beginner to JS, I cannot locate the resources that will teach me how to do what I wish to do.
I have a form with three fields. One is a dropdown, one is a radio button, and the last is a text field. I want to be able to, using onchange, send the three values to a processing(Ajax) page, use the value of one of the fields to obtain data from a database, use that result and perform a calculation using the other two field data, and send the result back to the first page. I want this to happen on the fly and without clicking a submit button. Is this possible??
Would it be better to use just JS for this??
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Penguin

Thanks,
Penguin
Please keep in mind that I am using classic ASP with MySQL database. Not sure if that information helps or not.

The J in AJAX stands for Javascript. Javascript is the client side. AJAX does not really demand a specific server side technology - other than the ability to respond to a GET/POST of a URL.

I would suggest that you use your favorite search engine using the search terms [tt]jquery ajax tutorial asp[/tt]. There are many tutorials.

jQuery is a generic term for a large family of libraries, most open source, that implement user interface widgets. And, most of these libraries have samples. If you have decent Javascript skills, you should have no problems finding and implementing the user interface effects you desire.

Tom Morrison
Consultant

AJAX doesn’t need a specific server technology.

Best advice from my point of view is to use tutorials for novice. You can try those that take arond 2-weeks, it wil be more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back