Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noob Access Network Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotaru

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2002
US
I know that this seems very remedial but I simply want to share an Access database file over a 12 client network. You have probably answered this in a thread somewhere else. A link or advice would sure help me.

[bigears]
Scott

You should split your database so you have a backend for the tables and a frontend for the forms, query, modules and macros. Save both the backend and frontend to a network location where all 12 users have access to. After the database is split, place a copy of the frontend on the 12 desktops. This gives all 12 users a copy of the frontend that is linked to the 1 backend stored on the server. To split your database:

On the Tools menu, point to Database Utilities, and then click Database Splitter.

Follow the instructions in the Database Splitter Wizard dialog boxes.

Before splitting the DB you may also want to set the startup properties (Tools - Startup) to open your main form and hide the database window.

Hope this helps.

Humble,

I feel the humility! I split the database and then went to explorer and copied the front end of the database to a clients 'my docs' folder. When I went to create a query there are no fields listed from the table. Also, will the database automatically update across the network?

I'm Humbled by the questions!

[bigears]

I didn't realize your clients were remote users. Are they accessing your network to use the application or are they using a copy of the application on their network? If all your clients are using different copies on different networks that are not connected to each other, it's going to be extremely difficult if not impossible to have data consistency. Unless of course each client should have their own data and it doesn't need to be linked with all of your other clients.

If you are copying the front end on your clients network and the backend is located on your network, the split database will not work unless your client connects directly to your network.

I guess the real question is does all your client’s data need to be linked and located in one database? If not, you may want to look into creating and MDE. Type MDE in Access help and you will find tons of info. If the data does need to be linked to one database for all clients you may want to consider a web-based front.

Hope I am making sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back