Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non Web use 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOR

Technical User
Jan 30, 2002
GB
Can MySql be used in multiuser NON WEB PAGE environments. Looking at replacing MS Access. Would Apache have to be installed if PHP was used as the front end?.

yes, it can

if you're going to use php, that's web work, right?

or were you trying to make a distinction between internet and intranet?

r937.com | rudy.ca

Thanks, that answered my question. I have been playing with both on web applications, but now looking to see what suitable front ends are there for using MySql. Presently using MS Access, and have read Access can be used as the front end. Is that worth doing do you know? Is it the tables part of Access that offer poor reliability with multiple users. Thanks again

nothing wrong with using access with linked mysql tables

if you're used to access, go right ahead

i believe the concurrent user problem will still exist, though

make sure you get reliable volume estimates before committing

r937.com | rudy.ca

Thanks. I thought using MySql would kiss goodbye to concurrent user problems. I have just downloaded and installed MySql 5.00. I went through the configuration wizard which covered concurrent users. I went through it all but now I have to find my feet to see where I go from here, and indeed where is it. I have been treated in the past using PhpMyAdmin? which led me to it, but now I am blind. Its going to be a fun time, thanks again.

Many thanks, downloaded a copy, but because there is no database there yet, it cannot connect (that's what I think?) Need to find what directory amongst the MySql 5.00 installation, the database/s will reside once they are built. Once there is something there, hopefully it will all start making sense.

You can also use phpMyAdmin from
I use MySQL locally from a VB frontend (using ADO) as it seems more robust for multiuser use than Access, and the licensing is more straightforward than MSSQL

Thanks John. I seem to be at an end with heidiSQL, it won't connect, and in the connection configuration its mentioning LocalHost/Username/Password. That may be normal server language, but reminds me too much of a web application. I just wanted to plonk MySql in a folder, and create a database there. Not having experience in this I don't know what the norm is. Do ports have to be opened?
Will I need to install PHP for phpMyadmin to work. Thanks again

PHPMyAdmin is fine for web use, but without a web server you'd be better off with one of the many GUI programs available, for example MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query Browser, both free from the MySQL site.

MySQL is designed for multi-user network use, which is why you need to specify a hostname. If MySQL is installed on the same machine, use "localhost", otherwise use the server's IP address. The username and password are for security reasons; if you've no interest in security, just use "root" and the root password you would have specified during installation.

MySQL's data is obviously stored in files, but you would not (and should not) normally deal with those files directly; to import and export data, you can use SQL or one of the utility programs supplied. The data files are normally stored in the "data" subdirectory of the MySQL installation directory, but you can change that by editing the configuration file (could be "my.cnf" or "my.ini") and changing the value of the "datadir" entry.

Yes I have always opened port 3306 and accessed MySQL through localhost

Sorry I misread your question about non-web. PHPadmin is a web-based app running on a PHP enabled server, so I would try the standard MySQL admin tool which is at
If you're going to use it from a local environment you also need the MySQL driver. Choose from here:

Connection strings:

Many, Many thanks John. Hopefully with the links I should start to get somewhere. I have been using the XAMPP package which included Apache and PHP. I found no way of removing them both just to leave MySql, a shame as it was so quick to start using. I was hoping MySql could have just been placed on a drive K: and been there to start building with, but I should have know life's not that easy. Thanks again.

Thanks r937, your heidiSQL is excellent, looks very user friendly, I think I'm on my way now. Thanks again all, wish I could add further stars. Regards

Fancy a Raiders fan to suggest anything with Heidi in the name! :)

I am about to give up the idea of Access/MySql with ODBC. Its slow slow to just view a table residing in MySql from Access. I thought it was the way to go but the two together is very dissapointing. I think I will stay with Access.

Maybe it's Access that's the problem. MySQL has a reputation as one of the fastest DB's out there, and certainly for multi-user use, there's no comparison against Access.

Thanks Tony, its the multiuser element worry of Access that made me consider moving to MySql But if it performs like this then its no good for me. Probably is at the Access end, another MS brick wall. I could fire up VB6, but not being a developers version and only being able to produce worthless exe versions thats a no go as well. Seems whichever way you go, if its an MS product the curtains come down somewhere to prevent you totally being able to do what you want. Thanks though for your help. Regards

Check out Navicat, it's a great front-end for MySQL, very robust and easy to use.

Thanks. Yes it is a good frontend for admin, but I need to provide bespoke user forms. I have dropped the idea of using MSAccess/MySql as its rediculously slow for some reason (seperate post) However thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back