Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

non-system disk or disk error

Status
Not open for further replies.

powjoyce

Technical User
Sep 15, 2003
US
I have a Compaq Deskpro 4000 and my dear son-in-law took the power box out to see if it would fix his (and it didn't) and when he went to put it back in mine this is what the error said. I check everthing out (where the cables went) and it look fine to me. Can someone please help me out Thanks

I've only ever gotten that error message when trying to boot off a formatted, busted or unplugged drive. It is possible that when he removed the power supply, he unplugged the hard drive from the p/s and forgot to plug it back in. Maybe he did, and it's just not plugged tight enough, it is worth checking out though. No offence intended by suggesting the most simple possible solution, but even the best tend to overlook these things every now and then.

-----------------------
Fishguy

Make sure there is no floppy or CD inserted, and that the power supply's main power connector is firmly inserted into the MB connector.

If that's ok, then make sure that the hard drive's IDE(ribbon) cable is securely connected at both ends, and that the red stripe along the one edge of the cable is next to pin 1 at the MB connection, and next to the power cable at the back of the HD.

If that's ok, then make sure that the HD's power cable is securely connected.
If ok, then connect a different power cable to the HD(assuming one is available).

If no luck, then install a different IDE cable to the HD.

If still no luck, then make sure that the HD is recognized in BIOS.

If it is, then insert a Windows boot floppy, start up, select 'Start without CD-ROM support', press Enter, at the A:\> prompt type c:, press Enter, at the C:\> prompt type fdisk.
If you get the message 'No fixed disk present', then the HD may be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back