Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-office automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlemaster

Programmer
Oct 4, 2001
US
I have an application that opens a word document. I want to be able to send instuction back to that other application (which is not an microsoft application) before word closes. Is there a way to do that?

Yes. Not 100% functional though. Have a look at the Shell() and Sendkeys VBA functions in Help.

For more control you can use API calls, but this is a really difficult undertaking.

Regards
BrianB
** Let us know if you get something that works !
================================

I did review the shell function and sendkeys but the problem with those solutions are that

1.) The application has already been launched and is running in the background so I do not have a handle to it. Even getobject won't work because the application does not support OLE automation (anything that is not office usually doesn't)
2.) The button I need to press in the application doesn't have a sortcut key and must be clicked (did I mention that this application sucks!!!).
3.) I sort of looked into the API calls but I'm not really sure where to begin. I can't efven get a reference to the application to force it to do something.

Thanks for all your help anyway.
I'm gonna post in the VB forum, perhaps someone else will have a solution there.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back