Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non Hotswap drives in Hot-swap bays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisM

MIS
Nov 2, 2001
US
We just purchased a few IBM netfinity servers, with Hot-Swap bays. The drives we have for them, however, are IBM Ultrastart drives that are not hot-swapable drives.

Neither the server, nor the drives came with any drive trays, or mounting racks. My question is this. If I purchase drive trays for these drive, and just slide them into the hot-swap cage, are they going to work correctly, but without their hotswap capability. Or are these drives not going to work at all?

Thanks a lot for your time.

-Travis.

Ummm. I doubt it.
Most of the time the drive trays have a few shorter/longer pins on them to signal to the drive electronics that it's being pulled out of the enclosure. Purchasing new trays will give you this. But I doubt that your drives will know what to make of this.

Chip H.

Yeah. =/ It looks like these are 68 pins, and the bays are 80, so new drives it is. I sorrta figured that would be the case.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back