Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non Hot-swap drives, in Hot-swap bays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisM

MIS
Nov 2, 2001
US
We just purchased a few IBM netfinity servers, with Hot-Swap bays. The drives we have for them, however, are IBM Ultrastart drives that are not hot-swapable drives.

Neither the server, nor the drives came with any drive trays, or mounting racks. My question is this. If I purchase drive trays for these drive, and just slide them into the hot-swap cage, are they going to work correctly, but without their hotswap capability. Or are these drives not going to work at all?

Thanks a lot for your time.

-Travis.

To install non hot-swap drives, you need to purchase the Media Storage Kit. It includes rails and a cable to install the drives in the non hot-swap bays.

Which server is it?
For most Netfinity/xSeries servers, 3rd party trays can be found on Ebay, you may have a more difficult time finding trays for the pc-servers.. I.E. The 330/320's but they are there. If you do have a 330 remember that they use Type 2 trays, and depending on who manufactured the drive, you will require different cables for the trays. IBM will frown upon you using these in there servers, but they should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back