Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-existent domain w/nslookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dante18

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2001
US
When I run nslookup ( from any w/s or server in the domain, even the DC) I get this back "Non-existent domain"? DNS seems to be fine. I was wondering if anyone out there could point me in the right direction?

This is weird i have exactly the same problem, even though the DNS looks fine - i am fairly sure that it is related to the DNS - if anyone has got any ideas of how to fix this i sure would appreciate the resolution.

If i find the cure i'll be sure to post it for you Dante18

Dante18,

I found the answer after a little digging around, and i'll try to explain it as best i can.....

You need to create a Reverse DNS Look Up Table, the best way to do this is to follow the instruction on the Microsoft technet web site, the URL is:

Whilst this document is for Windows NT, it does also relate to Windows 2000, Microsoft linked me there from a 2000 resource guide.

afetr you have followed the steps give it about 5 minutes and the reverse lookup table fills nicely and the nslookup.exe returns a default server name.

If you get any problem give me a nod and i'll try to help further.

Best of luck

MadAsToast

MadAsToast your solution was spot on. Thanks much for the info.

Dante18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back