Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

non-admin change TCP/IP Values on server

Status
Not open for further replies.

vexxed

MIS
Nov 29, 2002
CA
There seems to be many individual rights you can assign to a person to administer a Windows 2000 Server.
I cannot find a right to assign to someone to allow them to change the TCP/IP configuration of a server without them having full administrator privlidges.

Anyone know if this individiual right exists and if so where?

Wild guess without having a server at hand:
make them a server administrator?

Ok, I forgot one detail. The server is a domain controller. I have many domain controllers and I do not want to put this user into the admin group since it will make him an admin on all my controllers and he will have access into the OU structure.

XP has a group for users that need to change the network settings on a server.
Looks like there is no easy way.

The group Server Operators is seperate and distinct from Domain Admins. I can't give you the actual differences but am pretty sure they can be looked up. As I recall, server operators can do backups, can work with protocols... but can not modify Domain settings.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back