Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Non-ActiveX DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnCMolyneux

Programmer
Jun 22, 2004
GB
Hi.

I've got an ActiveX DLL that I wrote in VB6 which is used on my web server as part of an application. I'm now making a System Tray application that will inform users of relevant events, directing them to relevant web pages on the server. For this, I want to use the DLL that the web server uses.

I've started writing the application using the same ActiveX DLL, but decided against that. I personally don't want to hassle users every time they need to change the DLL - if it's ActiveX, they need to kill any running instances of it, unregister it, copy the new one over the old (or delete then copy), and then register the new one. This is very long-winded and it would be much easier to simply overwrite the existing DLL with a new one - hence, I want to use a Non-ActiveX DLL.

How do I go about making this in VB?

If I try to use the DLL in its current format, I get error messages along the lines of...

"The procedure entry point MyFunctionName could not be located in the dynamic link library MyDLL.dll. "

Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks.

mf_of_john.gif

VB 6 does not support the creation of non-activeX dlls. If you use binary compatibility and don't break it when updating the dll file, then you will not have to re-register it.

Also, you could put the file on a network share and you will only have to update it in one place (the users will still need to be out of any programs that use it for you to overwrite it, of course).

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

Thanks ArtieChoke, but I think I'm going to have to copy the code across to Delphi which is what the main application is written in.

Thanks.

mf_of_john.gif

One option is, though not a trivial one, would be to migrate the DLL to VC++ and create the DLL type you want there. This way you still have the flexibility to use the DLL with C++,VB,Delphi etc.

For what it was worth I just though I'd mention it.

William
Software Engineer
ICQ No. 56047340

I hate to point out the obvious but have you read [link msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vbenlr98/html/vamsgcantcreateobject.asp+ActiveX+component+can%27t+create+object+error+no+429&hl=en&lr=lang_en]this[/url].

William
Software Engineer
ICQ No. 56047340

Ignore that post. Wrong Message! :)

William
Software Engineer
ICQ No. 56047340

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back