Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noisy Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaystd

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
CA
Hey everyone,

I have a really noisy machine, extremmly infact i can still here it over my typing and the TV!!!

Do you guys and gals know any tricks or tips to quiten it down?

Thanks alot,

Whaystd

Sounds like the bearings are worn on one of your fans. You might want to take the cover off and take a look. Might also be a cable rubbing on it.

Are you saying it has always been noisey??
If so it is likely that you have a high powered 60mm fan on the heatsink?
There are many equally efficient 70 and 80mm heatsink/fan combinations around now that make much less noise but have the same air flow over the heatsink, like the Coolermaster heatpipe quiet, and the Acasa Silver Mountain II quiet.
Alternatively, if you have the space you can purchase a
60-80mm adapter to fit on your heatsink, this will enable the fitment of a quieter 80mm fan with the same CFM (air flow) rating.
Power supplies can also be noisey, especially twin fan types without thermal fan control.
Several manufactures make quiet PSU's with thermal fan control such as Enermax (there's has an external fan speed control knob)
Some graphics cards can also have very noisey 40mm fans, Zalman make a passive copper heatsink replacement.
But if your system "just got noisier" then it is likely to be the bearings on one of these fans that have "gone" so you will need to replace that fan. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back