Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

noise through speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdbeast

Technical User
Mar 11, 2003
CA
Awhile ago my friend bought essentially a new system. When we set it up, we heard noises coming from the speakers whenever you moved the mouse.

the system:

WinXP home
2GHz Celeron
ECS P4XASD2+ mobo
Generic GF4MX 64MB
256MB SDRAM 133MHz
40 Gig Maxtor
Onboard sound,nic, cdburner, dvd burner.
Logitech Optical mouse

It began with the mouse, then everything moving thru the bus made noise on the speakers.

We tried everything from removing devices, swapping speakers, installing updated drivers, changing sound card.

The odd part is his speakers are powered by usb and if u disconnect the wire from the sound card it still makes noise, just not as loud. Another problem he was having was with games specifically Battlefield 1942. His system being better than mine(except for the odd noises) could not play battlefield decently. It was very choppy, even after getting 512MBs of DDR RAM(the board supports both sdram and ddr sdram by changing jumpers).

Anyway, we took the board back to the store, they checked it and there was nothing wrong. They even showed us there was no odd noises. He said it was the speakers. As I said before we tried swapping speakers. So I tried swapping with yet another set, and sure enough no sound. All the speakers we tried, work fine on any other system(tried the speakers on 4 or 5 different systems). So he ended up buying an SB Live with 5.1 speakers. No more noise, but battlefield 1942 was still an issue so he went and bought another mobo. This time an MSI, which I picked out for him.

I say the store should have replaced the board. Why should u have to buy new speakers when they work perfectly fine on any other system? Who was the culprit, the board, the speakers or both? What do u guys think? I would really like to know.

Also, I know this post is getting long but there's a funny thing that happened with the MSI board(funny to me not to my friend). The MSI board was bought from the same store and guess what happened... Setup the computer and turn it on... and nothing. The thing would not boot. Long story short we cleared the CMOS, and then it worked just fine.

If you had brought your speakers to the store what would have happened? You don't know and the store had no problem making the mobo work so why should they have changed it?

They said that if its the speakers doing it then they would not replace the mobo.

Also they would have charged extra for bringing the speakers.

Life is a gamble.

ECS is not a top of the line motherboard. You get what you pay for. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back