Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Noise in Phone Line Disconnects Modem..................Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

babar

Programmer
Jul 15, 2000
ZW
<br>Hello Everyone!<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I am a student of 5th semester doing Computer Science Bachelors. This is my first time, posting a Questions at Tek-Tips concerning a project about Modems.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Modems disconnect if there is noise in the phone Line,<br>as Modems interprett noise as data signals.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Why these Noise signals are interpretted by Modems in&nbsp;&nbsp;such a way that Modems disconnect themselves from the ISP Servers.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;OR<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;What Kind of ('Hardware' or 'Software') Error is there, Making Modem lose connection.<br><br>I need detailed information about the whole Error Process, or some source of information , which one of you can recommend, will help me a lot.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Thank You Tek-Tips and all the Members. <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;

this will stop the disconnects from noise. it is called the s-register and can be used for all modems.<br><br>s10=255s25=255<br><br>Don't know exactly what each of the commands in that line do but im sure you could find it somewhere on the net. Learned that doing dialup tech support. <p>Ladin<br><a href=mailto:matchu_14@hotmail.com>matchu_14@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Tech support for 1 1/2 years, build computers, messed with C, HTML, Working on Flash, Role-Playing Game Junkie (Diablo2)

Ladin!<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;How can I Locate the resgister and update the value.<br>and it will be great if you can provide me with any more tips about all this!<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Thankyou.

Your modem is not the one that disconnects. The ISP's modem is disconnecting you. Here is a little paragraph that explains parts of the s-register that I gave you. <br><br>&quot;The listed S-registers each do 1 of 3 things.&nbsp;&nbsp;1)s10 increases the lost carrier hang up delay.&nbsp;&nbsp;2)s25 increases the length of time that the modem will ignore the DTR signal before it takes actions specified by other portions of the init (usually follows the &Dn command, which is normally set to disconnect if the DTR signal is lost from detection).&quot;<br><br>That quote was from a site called <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> which is an excellent source of drivers, strings, and general info on modems. Another good site you may want to check out is <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> which is another one that I use when doing tech support. I think I may have answered the email you sent me and given you the directions to enter an s-register.<br><br>Thanks<br>Matt<br> <p>Ladin<br><a href=mailto:matchu_14@hotmail.com>matchu_14@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Tech support for 1 1/2 years, build computers, messed with C, HTML, Working on Flash, Role-Playing Game Junkie (Diablo2)

The problem lies with the analogue lines which were originally intended soley for voice. Voice is obviouly more &quot;sturdy&quot; in it perception to &quot;echo, broken words, delay, etc.&quot; which effect the content of the conversation.Human response to &quot;noise/errors&quot; is to re-ask teh question or repeat the comment. Even to &quot;guess&quot; accurately what may have been siad form the fragments spoken. No such luck with modems.<br><br>Modems which are designed for data are less &quot;sturdy&quot; and as such elements such as noise will cause worse scenarios such as disconnections.<br><br>However, you can indeed &quot;tweek&quot; the S Registers in order to preserve a call or attempt to even achieve one. Underlying to this is however the process of throughput. If the line is suffering from noise and to an extent that in normal process a disconenction is likely, then if modem registers are amended to &quot;force&quot; the connection to remain it may be a case that the throughput has dropped to such a state that actuall disconenction and reconnection is a better option. There is no guarantee where within the PSTN your call is processed. A fault that may lay in an Exchange Switch can be maintained by attempting to maintain the call whereas a new call may be routed through a better path.<br><br>Digital access is of course the ideal situation.<br><br>Hope this is of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back