Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No WinNT Domain Controller...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinnt

MIS
Feb 11, 2002
US
Hi all,

I am receiving an error on one of my workstations:

(From Event Log)
SOURCE: Netlogon
Event ID: 5719

No Windows NT Domain Controller is available for domain SAFETY. (This event is expected and can be ignored when booting with the "No Net" Hardware Profile.) The following error occurred: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

When users try to logon they receive an error about the domain (controller) not being found. However, the problem happends intermittenly... Sometimes it will be a problem, an other times they can logon fine. The strangest part is after I receive the error, and logon (sometimes it will let us), I can ping the PDC. This seems to be the only workstation with this problem. It also has 2 NICs, and runs Windows NT 4.0 (with all the latest patches applied).

So its only one workstation... Have you tried disabling one of the network cards for awhile, to see if it goes away?

Matt J.

Me too, I have a Application Server, when I login to domain it show same message as Rinnt. I find a artical in Microsoft

I will do this in sat

Event ID 5719 - The system cannot log you on now because the domain "name" is not available."
Symptoms: when attempting to logon a domain, you keep getting an error that &quot;The system cannot log you on now because the domain &quot;name&quot; is not available.&quot; Also, Event viewer shows Event ID: 5719. No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain <domain name>. The following error occurred: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

Resolutions: One possible cause of this error is that you have run out of buffer space in the NetBT datagram buffer. To resolve this problem, increase the MaxDgramBuffering value from 128 KB to 256 KB. Run Regedt32.exe, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following information:

Value Name: MaxDgramBuffering
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x40000

Weird, it seems to be working now. Here's what I did to fix it. Why it did, I'm not sure. What I did was under the TCP/IP settings I unchecked the two boxes that said something to the effect of Use LMHOSTS and Use DNS for windows resolving (on WINS tab?). Anyway, I ended upgrading to W2K.

Some basic reminders: If you do edit your registry, be SURE to back it up. I don't know about you but I can get in the bad habbit of forgetting. Also, double check your wiring/cable/hub situation to make sure that is 100% consistant.

Last, and certainly not least, let us know the progress and solution when you find out =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back