Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Windows 2000 compatible DVD decoder installed on this system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eharris

Programmer
Mar 13, 2001
I recently bought an “HP Pavilion a1310n desktop pc”. When I place a DVD movie in my computer I get the message "No Windows 2000 compatible DVD decoder installed on this system."

I like Windows 2000 and dislike Windows XP, so I had wiped XP off the system and installed 2000. For the most part it went well, though there are three drivers I am still trying to track down and install.

How can I find out what DVD decoder needs to be installed on this system? Any ideas on where I can find it?

I very much appreciate any help.

Just in case you may be a real wizard, the three drivers that are missing are listed as:

1) Multimedia Audio Controller - Location PCI Bus 0, device 20, function 5

2) PCI Device - Location PCI Bus 0, device 20, function 0

3) Unknown device - On Microsoft ACPI - Compliant System.

How on earth do you find a driver for an unknown device, or find out what the unknown device is?? HELP!!!

Shouldn't people be able to place any operating system on their computer they want without the computer being proprietary to a particular operating system?

Firstly you need DVD playing software to play a DVD, something like PowerDVD or WinDVD.

Here is a list of drivers:
Most W2K drivers are the same for XP but there is just a chance one or more is XP only (unlikely though)

1) Audio driver (Realtek AC97)

2) Probably Modem driver

3) Unknown device is probably something to do with the ATI control panel NOTE* you must install .Net Framework from Microsoft (I see it is listed on HP's site at the top) for ATI control panel to function correctly.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

The DVD decoder that the error message is referring to, is installed by such apps as Martin mentioned (WinDVD or PowerDVD). The Windows XP image you received from HP probably had similar 3rd-party software installed that took care of this for you. So it makes sense that it's not present now that you wiped the drive and installed 2000.

On a side note...

You can customize XP to the look and feel of 2000. Windows XP is NT version 5.1, and Windows 2000 is NT version 5.0 - there's really little difference between the two. It's just that XP has better overall DirectX integration and more features, and in many tests, will run faster than 2000 on the same PC.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I think I see what you mean. What you need is the DVD codec portion. There seems to be some sort of licence to have the DVD codec on your machine. If you don't have the codec installed, the DVD viewing apps like PowerDVD will not work. In many cases it comes with the graphics card when the software set is getting installed the first time.

I had to get one from Internet when I saw that an OEM Radeon9600 that I've purchased had no such license number for the codec, that I had to enable by registering it to the ATI website. My previous AIW9600XT (retail box) did have such a codec registration number.

I found one codec in a freeware suite called Keelite, I think. The one I got was klcodec253s.exe (google for this file name) Once I installed the codec the viewers worked fine.

Just as an FYI, the MPEG-2 codec (for DVD-Video) comes with WinDVD or PowerDVD, and any 3rd-party DVD player software that HP might have included.

Remember, this user wiped the drive that HP configured for them, so now the DVD codec is not on there. The user needs to either purchase a good quality player (WinDVD or PowerDVD), or take their chances downloading a freebie codec off the net as felix mentioned.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

It may come with WinDVD or PowerDVD if it is a purchased copy. By comparison with the PowerDVD that sometimes comes included with a DVD movie, for example. This one does include the codec. So somehow the system needs a low-level codec.
It did not come with Win2K, but I wonder if a default DVD codec now comes with WinXP. Maybe with the Media center edition.

Felix,
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I follow you here. I'm not aware of PowerDVD or WinDVD coming with any DVD movie. I've seen something called "Interactual Player" that comes with Disney DVD's for example, so perhaps that's what you're thinking of?

Every copy of PowerDVD (OEM, Demo or Retail) that I've come across have the MPEG-2 codec. It is one of the most important parts of the program, as it wouldn't work without it.

~cdogg

Right you are cdogg,
Thanks for making things clear. I was thinking about the Interactual player, which I saw on my Lords of the Ring DVD. (and that wants to install at each play) There's another player that came with another movie, I can't remember the name. After a clean install of Win2K, there was no way to get LotR to play, using this free player. The CD that came with the Radeon did not provide a codec. After I installed the freebie codec, everything worked fine.
felixc

ok, that makes sense now!
[wink]

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back