Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No volume control in Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

haybailz17

Technical User
Feb 22, 2004
US
I reinstalled Windows 98 on an HP Pavilion with an Intel Celeron, now my volume control is missing and my speakers don't work. I tried going to the audio section in control panel and i cannot check the box to show the volume control in the sys tray, everything in the audio box is shaded and unselectable. This is the original sound card, built in to the motherboard. I tried installing a driver for it, but I am having problems finding the right one I guess, because this has not worked. Any suggestions?

go to Control Panel/System/Device Mgr. Does it show sound driver installed. If not, is there anything listed under unkown/other devices. If so, you don't have the correct snd driver. Need to recheck you got right sound driver.

It seems like the wrong sound card driver is installed, or perhaps the installed driver is corrupted or missing.

You really only have a couple good options:

1) Locate any system restore disks that came with your HP Pavilion. The appropriate sound driver should be contained within. Sometimes HP likes to create another partition on your hard drive that has the backup information there instead of giving it to you on CD.

2) Search HP's website for specs on your Pavilion model. Hopefully they'll have a download for you, but if not, try to at least find out what the sound component on your motherboard is called (make/model). That way, you might be able to find a download somewhere else on the net.

3) Finally, if the other 2 options can't help, consider the upgrade to a newer OS like Win98SE, Win2K or WinXP. Newer OS's have a larger driver pool built-in, and you'll have a greater chance of automatic detection. As an example, I replaced Win98 with WinXP on an older PII system without needing to manually install one driver.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

if your computer has a built-in sound card (ie. the headphone jack ISNT located on one of the expansion cards) then your best bet would be to try the drivers from those are the drivers for my laptop, my shuttle, and my brother's compaq. hope it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back