Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no video signal after new motherboard install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raichle

Technical User
Dec 26, 2004
US
I got a new motherboard, cpu, and heatsink today and installed them. There is no video signal and I can't figure out why. Here is what I know:
- Motherboard is receiving power, led light indicates
- Fan on video card is receiving power
- cpu heatsink/fan is receiving power
- no beep codes
- no audible hd access.
- no nic signal (no light on onboard nic)
- power supply, video card, and RAM are 'known working'. I am using them right now on the old board to type this in fact.

Here is what I have tried:
- reseated the RAM and video card
- tested the RAM, power supply and video card on another system.

Here are the specs:
-Intel Pentium 4 2.26 GHz 533MHz FSB

-ASUS "P4PE2-X" i845PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket 478 Intel Pentium 4(HT)/Celeron Processors
Chipset: Intel 845PE + ICH4
FSB: 533/400MHz
RAM: 2x DIMM for DDR333/266 Max 2GB
IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 4X, 4x PCI
Ports: 2xPS/2,1xCOM,1xLPT,RCA SPDIF Out,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xLAN,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: AD1888 6-Channel Audio
Onboard LAN: Realtek 8101L 10/100Mbps Ethernet
Form Factor: ATX

-nvidia GeForce 3 Ti 200.

-mushkin ddr pc 2700 RAM. 512 MB.

Please help!

Hola,

try this first: faq602-2731

Clearing CMOS, sometimes does wonders!

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

I am not clear on if the system is posting and then you receive no signal or no signal at all.
Obviously the PC is unlikely to boot into windows on an old install configured on a differant setup, but it would post before black screening and that's why I ask.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Look at the MOBO for IDE drive pin #1 to make sure the IDE drive cables are plugged in correctly (and floppy if you have one). Pin #1 on the drives is always closest to the power connector. In the BIOS there should be an option to start either PCI or AGP video first... make sure the correct one is chosen.

badbigben,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, but it didn't fix matters. I have seen that being a problem in the past myself.

paparazi,
It is not even posting. No beeps, no hd access, no video signal, no network signal.

frank4d,
IDE cables are not an issue here. They aren't even connected. I should not need any ide device to get to bios or get a video signal.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

have you tried another PSU? there is a possibility that the PSU doesn't supply all the power needed... ie. there could be one rail (+3v) dowm...

another suggestion, take a close look at your GFX-card, make sure that it is inserted correctly, just slightly off can cause a NO POST...

then take a look at the USB connectors, wrong insertion here does the same...

RAM, also should be double checked, aswell as if the mobo power conn is correctly seated...

(btw. I am using a similiar setup ASUS P4PE-X)...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Raichle
Suggestions:
As others have said, the power supply is down on one rail which gives the appearance of power but no boot.
A damaged CPU also allows fans tp spin but nothing else.
You could try reseating the CPU as a first step.
Main power connector to motherboard not seated properly and or P4 plug is not connected
You have inadvertantly left too many brass motherboard mounting posts in place, one is shorting to ground?
The reset switch is sticking in.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

If all the above fails, try these steps:

(1) Hold down the INS key on the keyboard
(2) Power on the the PC
(3) Video should come on within 10 seconds

If the video still won't come online, then you have bigger fish to fry!

Good luck!

Oh, I should have stated to hold down the INS key for that 10 second duration.

Cheers!

If your trying the mobo in your case I'd suggest placing the mobo on workbench (on piece of cardboard of something similar) connect PSU, CPU, HD. It should post with several beeps. Pwerdown, add mem and vid card and retry. If it works OK like this check case for a mounting post that is shorting something on new mobo.

Sounds silly but did you remember to plug the 12V 4 Pin CPU power supply plug into the mother board

It was a faulty 12v 4 pin plug. That explains why it has been working with my amd board and not the pentium one. Thanks for all the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back