Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No user access to IE's "Downloaded Program Files" for ActiveX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDog

MIS
May 18, 2001
US
HELP!!! Basic users do not have access to the Terminal Servers "Downloaded Program Files" folder; cache for activeX controls. Users are unable to run plug-ins in IE as it tries to write to this folder.
Upon investigation it appears that only Local Administrator group has access here. There is NO security tab when viewing properties on the folder. I have been looking high and low (registry, Microsoft, etc.) trying to find a fix.
Any assist would be welcome.

Devil Dog / TufelHundin -- Devil Dog --

Additional... Running NT 4 Terminal Server with Citrix MF 1.8 -- Devil Dog --

What version of IE are you running?
In IE Tools/Internet Options tab under Security Tab, custom level button, make sure that ActiveX is not disabled. Mike Brown CCA

Running IE 6. And yes, ActiveX is enabled via the Security Tab. -- Devil Dog --

go 1 folder level higher and change the security (for testing 1st) and apply to subfolders. If that doesnt work, create a new user account and see if the problem still exists. It could be the default user profile settings that are causing this.

Thanks for the ideas. Problem fixed. Found out that my predecessor used a 3rd party security tool to lock-down the Terminal Servers.
Interesting that I can modify security on this folder using a 3rd party app but not via NT or somehow via I.E. itself as it handles its own security.

Anyway, Thanks to all.

Devil Dog / Tufel Hundin -- Devil Dog --

Hey DevilDog, what is this third-party tool you referenced for locking down folders? I'm actually trying to prevent users from downloading things. I don't like spending all my time fixing problems caused by unauthorized applications.

Thanks,
BitMeister

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back