Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no usb connection works

Status
Not open for further replies.

blesher

MIS
Jun 8, 2006
US
have a new toshiba laptop running xp home sp2. can't install any usb devices - all are called unknown devices and then fail. this began after a failed installation of my hp all in one printer. the hp documantation says I should see dot4 listings in my device manager. nothing like this found. any way to 'reset' or locate missing pieces without reinstalling windows. thanks.

Try using Nir Sofer's USBDeview v1.00 ( to see if you can see and remove any info about your hp all in one printer.

If this doesn't fix the problem then try using 'Device Manager' [Start Settings > Control Panel > System > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager (button)] and remove first the 'USB Root Hubs' then the 'Host Controllers'.

Re-boot and the 'Hardware Wizard' will detect and re-install fresh USB controllers and hubs.

Hope this helps...

System Restore might be worth a try. Have you uninstalled the HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back