Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No spell check in Word97 HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverider

Technical User
May 29, 2006
US
I installed my Word97 from my Office97 CD to my new system using WinXP-SP2 and the spell checker is grayed out.

I downloaded the upgrades from Microsoft and installed them but still no spell checker.

The same program installed on my old win98SE system has the spell checker not grayed out.

Anyone have any answers about what the problem could be?

Sorry, I can not help>
However I am also using WinXp-Sp2 and Word97 but I do have spell checker.

Maybe it is a separate component you need to install, it was too long ago for me to remember what I installed.

Good Luck

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

XP does not like Office 97. There is a free program you can download called spell checker for oe 2.1
I cannot remember if It works with office tho???
Also Around here costco or staples sells student teacher version of office for around $130.00 And since we are all STUDENTS of Life :)
Hope this helps

I think remembering downloading a file to add the spell checker but like gargoyle47 posted it was long ago.
I was thinking about getting the new Ver. of Word been reading about the coming Word2007. still the Word2003 would work fine for me.
It just bugs me that Word97 spell checker won't work on the new system.

I have been using Word97 with no problems for at least a year and I have had no problems with it.

It suits may purpose and I have no need to up grade.
As far as security problem, maybe an office would have problem but that's not me just home use. Plus I run a tight ship here no problems with virus or Trojan or etc....

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

I was in hopes of hearing from others who have installed Word97 on a system using WinXP.

Look in Program Files/ Common Files/ Microsoft Shared/ Proof. Might be worth checking out that folder for Spell Checkers and its files.

Downloading the free OE Spell Checker may put the necessary files into the Proof folder to get Word checking spelling?

Maybe you have to install more than just Word from your Office CD to get the Spell Checker working?

Does your Word have a Repair Option?

If you want free Open Office... it is Word, Excel compatible.

Dave

Thank's linney I found the shared files on the old system and moved them to the new system and the spell checker is now not grayed out and the spell checker in Word97 is now working.

Again thank's Linny and everyone who gave me advice.
DK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back