Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no SOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I've had my desktop for 2 years and never had a problem getting sound - either audio on websites, audio from my DVD-ROM or the windows startup / shutdown sounds. However, I had never tried an audio CD in my CD-R/RW until a few months ago, and here my problems begin....

I got no sound despite my media player showing the CD playing correctly. All the boxes in the volume window are unchecked.

I take the case off my tower and notice that there is no cable connecting my CD-R/RW to the sound card (Aureal Vortex), but there is one connecting the DVD-ROM to the sound card. I try connecting the cable from the sound card to the CD-R/RW instead (connecting to the analogue out socket), but again there is no sound.

I try playing a CD in the DVD-ROM (with the cable reconnected), but still mo sound even though the media player shows the CD playing.

I then tried to update the drivers for the sound card, but the latest ones were already installed on my PC. I tried downoading an MP3 but again no sound when I played it.

At some point a few weeks ago (and I have no idea when or how it happened) I noticed that I wasn't getting any sounds - no windows sounds, no sounds from the internet, and when I tried playing a DVD no sound from that either.

I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling the multimedia components from my Windows 98 disk but that didn't work. I then tried deleting the sound card from the device manager and rebooting.

It detected new hardware OK, but then couldn't find a driver for it. I went to the Aureal website to download one, but when it was installing it, it said the file was corrupt and wouldn't work. The device manager now just recognises an unknown sound device - it won't detect that it is Aureal etc, etc.

I am getting to my wits-end. I am assuming that the problem lies with my sound card, but does the fact that I have never been able to play CDs mean that there is a problem with my CD-R/RW as well / instead? I don't want to go out and buy a new sound card etc if that is not the problem.

Can anyone help? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Try booting into safe mode and removing the sound card there. Then power the pc down, physically remove the sound card. Boot the pc normally, then shut down. Reinsert the sound card, boot normally. See if it detects the sound card then.

Well you can probably eliminate the CD/DVD drives by playing your music CD, and then plugging a pair of headphones into the CD drive's front stereo socket. Adjust the edgewise volume control to suit...

You said previously that an MP3 wouldn't play. Assuming the relevant software player was all set up ok, and you didn't have a hidden software level control inadvertantly set at zero, then I'd suspect the card is maybe at fault.

If you cannot uninstall drivers then the registry will need editing - great care need here - make a backup first! Also, physically remove the card from the PC, restart W98 and let it boot up and find that it no longer has a soundcard. Now switch off and try plugging the card into a different slot and re-install drivers.

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I had a similar problem with a AurealVortex sound card it took this new driver, “W9x3220_full.exe” to fix it so that I had sound with Windows 98se. I cannot remember which download site I used to get this driver. The size of the file is 6.81MB. If you live here in the USA I would be happy to burn a copy for you on disk and mail it to you. You can e-mail me (CAOrange only please) at chaps3ml@juno.com

Mike

Hi All - thanks a lot for your advice. Finally had a chance today to follow it, and it's worked a treat. Sound now works perfectly, even from my CD-R/RW.

Chaps - thanks for your offer of burning me a copy of the driver.

Anyway - thanks all again. I'm now very happy!!

chaps

If ever you get a problem again, visit this site:

The driver you described in your post can be found here

The reason for this post is the fact I am having problems with "New hardware found" PCI multimedia audio device and windows ME cant find the driver. This has happened since a hard drive re-format. Searched this forum with no luck but a friend states he has the driver.

Good luck
KB (in the UK)

Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much

Hi CAOrange - Can You please mention the step you have taken to fix your sound problem. Thankx

Hi all

With a slight bit of luck, a friend of mine had a CD called PC-CILLIN 2000 and all the drivers god ever created for this particular system were present. So the problem has been fixed at last.

Thanks to those who took the time to reply and if this helps anyone in the future please take a look at the Microsoft KB question 298837 - "How to use registry editor to indentify an unknown PCI device" (It works great) and when you've found what your looking for take a look at
Hope this helps anyone who found themselves in one of the "most traumatic life experiences when it comes to computers" event!!

Good luck
KB

Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back