Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Sound - What to do.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff18wife

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
Hoping someone can help.
Here is some background info : Lost mouse, SOUND, ability to access scanner & cd burner and had really funky looking graphics. A friend fixed all but the sound.

If I go into the Control Panel and double click on either the Sound icon or the Multimedic icon, nothing happens. I do not have the little speaker on the bottom right of my screen. I've tried reinstalling the drivers.

Also, had been having sound issues since day 1 where if I was on a website with sound or trying to play an mp3, I would get this static/screechy noise and then lose sound totally unless I restarted or reloaded the page.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. [3eyes]

Maybe the Multimedia Components from windows are not installed. Go to: Control Panel ==> Add Remove Programs ==> Windows Components and look for the multimedia components and see if the are installed. If not install them. It is possible to install a sound card and not the multimedia components.

You should state what operating sytems you are using.
i.e. Win 98, win 95 B, Win 98 SE, Win XP Home, Win XP Pro.

You should state the make and model of computer, or what type of motherboard it is you are using.

You should state the specific sound card you are using.

If you do this someone else may recognize the hardware and have a solution.

It is quite possible you have the wrong Sound Card Driver.

Some sound cards require the newest version of Direct X to be installed. Most likely this is Direct X 8.1 or something like that. This is downloadable, but may also be on various install CD's that come with video games and driver software for video and sound cards.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Sometimes you are almost better off reinstalling windows. Be vary Wary of this if you are using Win XP. Often problems can be cause due to virus issues and corrupt, missing, or damaged system files. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

ceh4072
Wow, ok where to start.

I will check the multimedia components.

Also, I am using Win 98 on an HP8562. It appears that I have a Master Riptide PCI Audio Device, would that be the sound card? I'm a little confused on that one, how to tell what kind of sound card I have. Strange as all of this may sound, whatever sound drivers I have, came with the system except that I tried upgrading the drivers but it didn't help.

Thanks again.

PS- Am holding out til the very end before doing a full recovery. Too much to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back