Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No sound on SB PCI 64 and ASUS A7V133

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,
here is my problem. I upgraded my computer, just the motherboard, CPU, ram and hard drives. I left my AGP and sound card and put them on my new motherboard. I have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI64 But I have the problem of no sound now. So I went to the ASUS FAQ and they told me to reserve IRQ 5 for legacy devices so I did and I still didn't get any sound. I posted some messages in some forums and they told me to change the slots that it went in and that didn't help and I have installed the latest drivers but still no sound. When I go into the device setup in System properties it says: This device is disabled because the BIOS for this device did not give an IRQ (code 29).

Do I have to go out and buy another sound card?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dale.

Is your motherboard model # A7V133 or A7V133/WOA? The A7V133 has onboard audio which I belive is enabled in the bios by default. If this is the case either disable the onboard audio and use your PCI64 or remove the PCI64 and use the onboard audio. You cant use them both at the same time.

If you have the A7V133/WOA (With Out Audio) your guess is as good as mine to what's wrong.

Let us know what you find out.

Hello Ivecky!

I had the same problem, but with Soundblaster 128. My motherboard is the Asus A7V133 without onboard Audio. I tried all the classical troubleshooting tips I could find such as moving SB-card to different PCI-slots and dedcating IRQ to PCI-slots, flashing the BIOS with newer (beta-)versions etc.

I finally solved the problem.
The cause of it was that then I upgraded my computer with the new motherboard (from an old Intel-BX-chipset) to the new (VIA-chipset) I didn't reinstall Win98. Thus, some old drivers from the BX-chipset remains in the Windows-system, creating conflicts.
My sollution was to delete the enitre windows catalogue and re-install Win98 from scratch. Unfortunatly I don't know an easier way to solve this, like, what files to delete.

I hope this helps!

Regards, Trilliadin

Trilliadin,

I'm having the same problem. I think you've provided my solution as well.

Thanks

'Stik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back