Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No sound from SB 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

evosmudge

Technical User
Apr 23, 2002
US
I reformatted my brother-in-law's computer and re-installed XP and all the required drivers. For some reason, I cannot hear anything. A SoundBlaster Audigy is being used with no onboard sound card. I had Windows automatically install the correct driver and no progress. I uninstalled all of my sound drivers, deleted necesarry files containing sound drivers, cleared my temp folder, reinstalled the driver from the Creative website and still no progress.

Checked all my connections, removed and re-inserted the sound card, tried another speaker, and now I am at hault. What else can I try? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

What is the status of the sound card in Device Manager?

There are no conflicts and shows that the device is working properly under Properties.

Make sure that the volume controls are properly adjusted and are not muted either in Windows or in the sound card's software, the volume knob is adjusted on the speakers(if applicable), the speakers are connected to the correct sound card port, and the speakers power cord is connected to a good power outlet and the power button is turned on(if applicable).

I had a problem with an HP that had onboard sound. Had to delete and reinstall to get the sound to work. Happened a few times per month, so I showed user how to do it herself.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)

I triple checked everything. Volumes are turned up on both Windows and speakers, nothing is muted, it is plugge d in the correct port as well as trying every port for the hell of it, power is good, and there is no onboard sound to disable. I even reformatted and installed WinXP a second time thinking is was a bad install(???) but that did not cure the problem.

I have never been so bewildered on something that should be pretty simple. My brother-in-law is now thinking of replacing the sound card but who knows if that is the problem.

More suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Try the card in a different slot.

If no luck, then see if it works in another system, or try a different card.
If no for the former, or yes for the latter, then it's bad.

No luck with a different slot and I have not tried on another computer but maybe that is something I can try. This may be the deciding factor on whether to replace it. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome, and good luck.

Have you tried downloading a driver from Creative Labs? Maybe Windows installed a driver that isn't compatible?

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)

I have yet to swap the soundcard to another computer to see if the card is the issue. Another website recommended wiggling the plugs to see if there was any static, which means it would be the culprit. But I had no luck there.

dglienna, as mentioned in my first post, I was able to use the Creative Labs driver and had the same outcome.

Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back