Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No sound from my modem - WIN98 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

edibon

MIS
Jun 16, 1999
US
Ever since I upgraded to Windows98 (from WIN95) I no longer hear my modem through my speakers.  Don't hear the dialtone or the dial sequence.

This may be just my prefrence, but who cares if you can't hear it. I <b>WISH</b> I couldn't. but, nevertheless, I think I know of a way that I can get yours back on:<br><br>GO start &gt; settings &gt; Control Panel<br><br>in control panel, goto modems.<br>select the modem from the list, and <br>click the button labled properties, next to the select box.<br><br>click the General tab, and move the slider for the Speaker Volume up. <br><br><br><br> <p>theEclipse<br><a href=mailto:eclipse_web@hotmail.com>eclipse_web@hotmail.com</a><br><a href=robacarp.webjump.com>robacarp.webjump.com</a><br>**-Trying to build a documentation of a Javascript DOM, crossbrowser, of course. E-mail me if you know of any little known events and/or methods, etc.

Thanks Eclipse....but already tried that.&nbsp;&nbsp;Didn't work...

Double click on the speaker icon in the system tray. Go to options and properties and add all the devices to the playback control.<br><br>If any device is muted, other than the microphone, remove the check and see if you can hear modem tones.<br><br>You can also try using the AT&F command in a Hyperterminal window to reset the modem to factory defaults.<br>

Thanks DXD...you got me thinking...wasn't quite what you said.&nbsp;&nbsp;Turns out I started playing around with my NEC audio mixer (apparently controls the modem sound?).&nbsp;&nbsp;Turned off the mute, didn't do anything, then went into advance features and turned off the mic monitoring.&nbsp;&nbsp;Seems to have rectified the problem, I can't explain???

I had the same.&nbsp;&nbsp;The modem somehow picked up an old or unsuitable driver probably from Windows .CAB.&nbsp;&nbsp;I removed the modem using Device Manager and re-installed being careful to use the drivers that came with the modem.&nbsp;&nbsp;The sound is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back