Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Sound from Internet Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddwaz

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
US
Just purchased a Lenova Laptop with Vista OS. Sound on Laptop works perfectly in all areas except the Internet. I can't get sound off the internet and I can't find a fix for it. Any ideas? Someone said it was a problem with Vista, but I don't think that's correct. I was running Norton's because it came as a trial with the laptop. That has now expired and I'm still not getting sound. Please help!

No sound from the internet" is rather vague. When it comes to mulimedia on the internet there are differen't types of media players. There's of course MS Media Player, Shockwave and many others. In most cases when media is played from the internet it uses one of those players depending on what you have set as the default media player or what acticeX control is registered in your browser to use. Most people will adjust their volume from the little speaker found in the task bar. Try looking for volume controls in the screen you are watching or listing from. If that doesn't work make sure MS Media Player is your default player for media files and make sure your browser knows it's the default media playera as well.

Have you ticked the Check Box in IE/ Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced/ Settings/ Multimedia, "Play sounds in Webpages"?

The Play sounds in Webpages is checked. I also looked through the Open Volume Controls and there is nothing wrong in there. Someone said that Vista has separate volume controls for each device, is that true? I'm going to check Active X and Media Player and see if there is anything in there.

Have you uninstalled Norton completely, do so if you haven't? If it is only disabled it may still be effecting your Internet in some way.

Any difference if you use Headphones, probably not, but it is something to try?

See if any other third party software is interfering with your sound.

Try "Safe Mode With Networking" and if that works proceed down this path.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

As this is a new machine it may be an idea to involve your manufacturer, in case warranties come in to play.

I have looked everywhere that even remotely resembles a sound control. What confuses me is ITunes works perfectly. I can't get YouTube to work, but I can go to Windows Media Player site and play anything off that site and get sound. I can't get sound from the videos on NBC10.com. I'm so confused.

Oh Linney, I forgot to add thank you for your replies. Also I am running Vista not XP. Do you think that is the problem?

One other thing I just found and don't know how to fix is - Under Control Panel-Hardware-Sound-Adjust Sound, there is only two things listed. Speakers and Windows Sounds and the slider is up on both. But under the Change System Sounds section, it has all the sounds for every function but none of the sounds play when you choose TEST. ???? I checked the Sound under Device Manager and all seems well there. OMG! I'm pulling out my hair!!

Oops, yes I have uninstalled Nortons completely

Have you selected a Program Event under Sound but left None as the Sound .wav file option under Sounds? Do any of the .wav files listed there play in your player?

Right-click on the Volume Icon in the Notification Area. Select Sounds and look around there.

Again right-click on the Volume Icon in the Notification Area. Select Recording Devices or Playback Devices (do both one at a time). In that resulting window right-click on the listed devices and also on a blank area, and play with the available options to configure your sound.

Have you checked for any updated drivers for your Sound Card?

DirectX: Description of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Lost Your Ding?

Don't be put off by MSKB that mention XP in the title, half the MSKB from Windows 98 and onward still have some relevance to Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back